Old 22-06-2003, 08:53 PM
Amber

Default What happened to all the fungicides?

hiya,
I came to get some systemic fungicides this year and found that the only one
about is for ornmentals. I wondered are they not bringing them back and why?
I heard last year they were relooking at whats out there but I presumed
something would come back.

If they are not coming back can someone give me some tips on using the
'normal' stuff as I used to use systemic cos it sorted it out esp in thick
growth when its hard to spray it all.

much thanks in advance.
amber

Old 22-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Jim W

Amber wrote:

I came to get some systemic fungicides this year and found that the only one
about is for ornmentals. I wondered are they not bringing them back and why?
I heard last year they were relooking at whats out there but I presumed
something would come back.

If they are not coming back can someone give me some tips on using the
'normal' stuff as I used to use systemic cos it sorted it out esp in thick
growth when its hard to spray it all.

I believe some are no longer approved for use by DEFRA. You may find old
stocks still on sale somewhere.. WHat are your specific problems? As
with all pests you should always try improved cultivation as a primary
method.
//
Old 23-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Amber

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fwz8gn.np65k5khx32aN%00senetnospamtodayta@ma cunlimited.net...
Amber wrote:

I came to get some systemic fungicides this year and found that the only

one
about is for ornmentals. I wondered are they not bringing them back and

why?
I heard last year they were relooking at whats out there but I presumed
something would come back.

If they are not coming back can someone give me some tips on using the
'normal' stuff as I used to use systemic cos it sorted it out esp in

thick
growth when its hard to spray it all.

I believe some are no longer approved for use by DEFRA. You may find old
stocks still on sale somewhere.. WHat are your specific problems? As
with all pests you should always try improved cultivation as a primary
method.
//

I get black spot and mildew on roses and lemon balm. Unfortunatly with a
north facing garden that has a lake at the end and a willow tree tending to
get things and pass them on I tend to get it quite a bit. I reduced the
problem by changing my types of roses, but we are moving *touch wood* this
year and so cannot change them now.

Old 23-06-2003, 11:08 PM
David Hill

We can blame it on the EEC (or what ever it's present name is)
All chemicals have to be retested and for many firms the cost is not worth
it for a lot of the chemicals used in the Armature market.
Its not all that much better for the professional.
And then its also down to this "Nanny State" where Rose clear was removed
from sale as One Fool managed to get concentrate into his/her eye and it
caused Irritation.... no lasting damage....... but ..... in something like
12 years of use it was the first incident reported..
So it's back to things like Bordeaux Mixture (Lime and Sulphur) Copper Etc
Will have to dig out my old books...

David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Old 23-06-2003, 11:33 PM
martin

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 22:02:24 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

We can blame it on the EEC (or what ever it's present name is)
All chemicals have to be retested and for many firms the cost is not worth
it for a lot of the chemicals used in the Armature market.
Its not all that much better for the professional.
And then its also down to this "Nanny State" where Rose clear was removed
from sale as One Fool managed to get concentrate into his/her eye and it
caused Irritation.... no lasting damage....... but ..... in something like
12 years of use it was the first incident reported..
So it's back to things like Bordeaux Mixture (Lime and Sulphur) Copper Etc

You will find that copper is on the banned list too.

--
martin

Old 24-06-2003, 11:21 AM
Amber

wrote:

We can blame it on the EEC (or what ever it's present name is)
All chemicals have to be retested and for many firms the cost is not

worth
it for a lot of the chemicals used in the Armature market.
Its not all that much better for the professional.
And then its also down to this "Nanny State" where Rose clear was

removed
from sale as One Fool managed to get concentrate into his/her eye and it
caused Irritation.... no lasting damage....... but ..... in something

like
12 years of use it was the first incident reported..
So it's back to things like Bordeaux Mixture (Lime and Sulphur) Copper

Etc

You will find that copper is on the banned list too.

Why did the slugs complain about it? ;-)

Old 26-06-2003, 06:58 PM
Amber

"David Hill" wrote in message
We can blame it on the EEC (or what ever it's present name is)
All chemicals have to be retested and for many firms the cost is not worth
it for a lot of the chemicals used in the Armature market.
Its not all that much better for the professional.
And then its also down to this "Nanny State" where Rose clear was removed
from sale as One Fool managed to get concentrate into his/her eye and it
caused Irritation.... no lasting damage....... but ..... in something like
12 years of use it was the first incident reported..
So it's back to things like Bordeaux Mixture (Lime and Sulphur) Copper

Etc
Will have to dig out my old books...

has anyone got any recommendations of what product to use on food stuffs or
are they all much the same?

Old 26-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Jim W

Amber wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
We can blame it on the EEC (or what ever it's present name is)
All chemicals have to be retested and for many firms the cost is not worth
it for a lot of the chemicals used in the Armature market.
Its not all that much better for the professional.
And then its also down to this "Nanny State" where Rose clear was removed
from sale as One Fool managed to get concentrate into his/her eye and it
caused Irritation.... no lasting damage....... but ..... in something like
12 years of use it was the first incident reported..
So it's back to things like Bordeaux Mixture (Lime and Sulphur) Copper

Etc
Will have to dig out my old books...

has anyone got any recommendations of what product to use on food stuffs or
are they all much the same?

One thats recomended & licenced for use on vegetable and for that
particular pest. They all have labels that you should read before use.

Anything specific in mind??
//
Old 26-06-2003, 10:58 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
Amber wrote:

I came to get some systemic fungicides this year and found that the only one
about is for ornmentals. I wondered are they not bringing them back and why?
I heard last year they were relooking at whats out there but I presumed
something would come back.

If they are not coming back can someone give me some tips on using the
'normal' stuff as I used to use systemic cos it sorted it out esp in thick
growth when its hard to spray it all.

We can blame it on the EEC (or what ever it's present name is)

Blame is not entirely the right word and, in any case, we can't.

All chemicals have to be retested and for many firms the cost is not worth
it for a lot of the chemicals used in the Armature market.

The reason that fungicides have almost disappeared is that almost all
of the effective systemic ones have very nasty effects indeed on
mammals, partly because we are more closely related to fungi than
plants.

Its not all that much better for the professional.

Better? Benomyl (Benlate) was banned because it is teratogenic (i.e.
children born to women exposed to it in early pregnancy sometimes had
no eyes). This was observed only in glasshouse workers.

What was Whitehall's reaction? To ban it for domestic use - it is
still permitted in commercial horticulture.

And then its also down to this "Nanny State" where Rose clear was removed
from sale as One Fool managed to get concentrate into his/her eye and it
caused Irritation.... no lasting damage....... but ..... in something like
12 years of use it was the first incident reported..

It is a little more serious than that. I agree that it was an
excessive reaction, because there are a lot of common chemicals
that will cause blindness if got in the eye. Oven cleaners for
one.

So it's back to things like Bordeaux Mixture (Lime and Sulphur) Copper Etc
Will have to dig out my old books...

They are one hell of a lot safer for humans. The lethal dose of copper
is something over a gram, and a minor overdose will rarely cause long
term damage. Copper is an essential trace element, after all.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.