GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help with flower ID please??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/33662-help-flower-id-please.html)

Alan 23-06-2003 12:44 PM

Help with flower ID please???

Hi,

I'm currently cataloguing the plants in my garden. (89 so far) I've come a
cross one I don't know the name of. I hoping someone can tell me both the
botanical name and the common name. I've seen it a lot of local gardens
(north of Scotland) where it seems to grow without much care at all. In fact
some of you may prefer to call it a weed than a garden flower. If it is a
weed it's a nice one and I'll be giving it permission to stay regardless :)

The plant is herbaceous and grows to about 3' with purple flower spikes.
Individual flowers are only about 8 to 10 mm across.

Here's a link to a photo showing the flower spike and leaves.

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~haggis63/flower-view1.jpg

....and here's a closer view of the individual flowers.

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~haggis63/flower-view2.jpg

Alan Melville

Victoria Clare 23-06-2003 04:08 PM

Help with flower ID please???

"Alan" wrote in
:

Hi,

I'm currently cataloguing the plants in my garden. (89 so far) I've
come a cross one I don't know the name of. I hoping someone can tell
me both the botanical name and the common name. I've seen it a lot of
local gardens (north of Scotland) where it seems to grow without much
care at all. In fact some of you may prefer to call it a weed than a
garden flower. If it is a weed it's a nice one and I'll be giving it
permission to stay regardless :)

I think it is purple toadflax, Linaria purpurea. Very pretty and elegant,
with snap-dragon flowers. I say 'I think' because I thought they had the
flower lips brushed with yellow, but that may be a local variation.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

Kay Easton 23-06-2003 05:44 PM

Help with flower ID please???

In article , Alan
writes
Hi,

I'm currently cataloguing the plants in my garden. (89 so far) I've come a
cross one I don't know the name of. I hoping someone can tell me both the
botanical name and the common name. I've seen it a lot of local gardens
(north of Scotland) where it seems to grow without much care at all. In fact
some of you may prefer to call it a weed than a garden flower. If it is a
weed it's a nice one and I'll be giving it permission to stay regardless :)

The plant is herbaceous and grows to about 3' with purple flower spikes.
Individual flowers are only about 8 to 10 mm across.

Here's a link to a photo showing the flower spike and leaves.

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~haggis63/flower-view1.jpg

...and here's a closer view of the individual flowers.

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~haggis63/flower-view2.jpg

Linaria
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

CK 23-06-2003 10:08 PM

Help with flower ID please???

Yes, definitely 'Linaria purpurea'.
There is also very nice clear pink form called 'Canon J Went, which is a somewhat
less prolific seeder, and more recently a white form.
All are short lived and need to be left to seed each year to get a supply of young
plants.
Will grow in full sun and poor soil.
Regards,
Chris in Somerset

Alan 23-06-2003 10:56 PM

Help with flower ID please???

Linaria

Thanks Kay and Victoria. It certainly looks like it.

Alan

CK 25-06-2003 08:28 PM

Help with flower ID please???

Alan 25-06-2003 08:28 PM