Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Revove SPAMTRAP to relpy!

Default seeds and pods

id like to see if i can increase my stock of plants...is it possible to grow
broom from the seed pods easily? also what about lavender Papillion seed
heads? fuchsias? how long do i leave the seed or pods on the plant before
i can remove them?

rpm

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Revove
SPAMTRAP to relpy! writes
id like to see if i can increase my stock of plants...is it possible to grow
broom from the seed pods easily? also what about lavender Papillion seed
heads? fuchsias? how long do i leave the seed or pods on the plant before
i can remove them?

Fuchsias are dead easy from cuttings - at the most basic, cut a lot of
twigs about 3-4in long, making the cut just below a pair of leaves,
remove all the leaves apart from the top two, put all the cuttings into
a pot of compost so that most of the twig is buried, put the whole thing
in a plastic bag to keep moist, keep an eye on it to make sure it stays
moist, and remove any mouldy bits, and in due course most of the twigs
will root.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
david

As for the broom, it grows pretty much like a weed where I am, and
propagates itself all too easily. In the summer you can hear the pods burst
and scatter their seeds round about. I'd wait till then before harvesting.
David

"Revove SPAMTRAP to relpy!" wrote in
message ...

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Victoria Clare

"Revove SPAMTRAP to relpy!" wrote in
:

id like to see if i can increase my stock of plants...is it possible
to grow broom from the seed pods easily? also what about lavender
Papillion seed heads? fuchsias? how long do i leave the seed or pods
on the plant before i can remove them?

Lavenders are usually pretty easy from seed, though I am not sure if you
would get plants exactly like the parent, if you have a named variety. On
the other hand, you might get something even better, and most lavenders are
pretty.

Let the flower heads fully mature, then remove the seeds by tapping when
they are starting to be loose. Make sure you don't pull the flower heads
off till they are fully ripe and dead-looking. You'll need to keep an eye
on them or the seeds will fall out and plant themselves.

They take a while to germinate, as I recall.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall