Old 26-06-2003, 09:21 PM
Ophelia

Default Composting Tea Bags

"sw" wrote in message
Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
As do I

I always feel slightly guilty though because I have an odd memory that

some
law came into being which would affect our rights to put tea bags into

the
compost bin.

Does anyone else remember that or am I totally mad)

Not TOTALLY. It is illegal (yes, a crime) to put disposable nappies
into the dustbin, and there was a proposal to make it illegal to
put meat scraps into the compost bin, but I don't remember anything
explicitly about tea bags.

um. The proposal (the Animal By-Products Amendment Order 2001) would
have made it illegal to put teabags or any other domestic kitchen waste
(including vegetable matter) in the compost bin, but it was decided that
home composting should have a derogation. Probably because TPTB couldn't
work out how to police it...

Thank you Sarah... you have saved my sanity or what is left of it

Old 26-06-2003, 09:50 PM
sw

Ophelia wrote:

"sw" wrote in message
Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
[...]

Essjay posted something about the original order; as I understand it,
the Amendment allows farmers to put composted waste on fields (the
original order prevented this). In September our District Council is to
introduce a green bin scheme collecting household compostable waste;
they've deliberately avoided the issue by dealing with a firm who have
contracted to supply anaerobic digestion facilities. I want a tour of
the site when it's up and running!

regards
sarah

--
Waist deep, neck deep
We'll be drowning before too long
Old 26-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Ophelia

"sw" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:

"sw" wrote in message
Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
[...]

Be interested to hear about it

Old 27-06-2003, 12:32 AM
andrewpreece

"Tim" wrote in message
newsprrc6gxqhwxhha1@localhost...
Isn't it illegal ( EU directive ) to have a compost heap within 270 feet
(?)
of a domestic dwelling, so if you have one at all you're probably a
criminal, never mind what you put on it.....
It is also illegal ( EU directive ) to burn wood on other than the
ground it was grown on. I expect you'll all be turning yourselves in to
the police bright and early tomorrow - if you come clean they might go
easy on you!!!

I found this on Google, unfortunaltely it's just gossip, as there are no
links or hint at an actual reference.
Tim.

That's a bit thick, isn't it? Are you saying that unless I provide cast iron
documentary evidence with every comment I make it is automatically
invalid?
I confess my comments were not the result of personally digging
through the Big Book of Stupid EU Directives ( inc. the ones on bent
cucumbers and bananas ), but they were based on articles in a respected*
newspaper and I reckon that's good enough for a light-hearted comment
in uk.rec.gardening.
I now await the EU Directive banning people on usenet from making
comments without providing extensive supporting evidence.

* Though I'm guessing it's not the one you take!

Andy ;-)

Old 27-06-2003, 07:32 AM
martin

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:31:28 +0100, "andrewpreece"
wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

AKA Daily Mail?

( inc. the ones on bent
cucumbers and bananas ), but they were based on articles in a respected*
newspaper

don't believe everything you read, especially in right wing respected
newspapers. with a political axe to grind.

Old 27-06-2003, 08:20 AM
Tim

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:25:30 +0200, martin wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:03:31 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
As do I

I always feel slightly guilty though because I have an odd memory that
some
law came into being which would affect our rights to put tea bags into
the
compost bin.

Does anyone else remember that or am I totally mad)

Not TOTALLY. It is illegal (yes, a crime) to put disposable nappies

So how is one meant to dispose of them?

Sun bake them dry and smoke. Serve with horse radish sauce.

I feel sick! Tim.
Old 27-06-2003, 08:20 AM
Tim

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:58:49 +0000 (UTC), Pat Gardiner
wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
newsprrdo64yqwxhha1@localhost...
On 26 Jun 2003 13:46:11 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article oprrdgeij4wxhha1@localhost,
Tim writes:
| | But that was 1999, did they look at the 2001 amendments ? Which

my | untrained eye looks like the 1999 Order has been changed to only
apply to | catering businesses kitchens and farms etc. What the order
says is that any | waste from COMMERCIAL kitchens can't be composted.

So
unless you run a | business from your ktichen you're ok.

No, that is a tightening of the 1999 order.

I read it as shifting the emphasis.

| But I don't see what the problem is because the 1999 order applies

| feeding animals waste, not to making compost. I am hard pushed to

find
any | connection - unless you keep animals on your land, or you let

your
compost | be fed to other animals. The amendment has changed this to
make it clearer | that it applies to commercial waste and/or farm
animals. I'm sort of | discussing this with Nick at the moment.

Read it again. Look at sections 3 and 5, for example. Non-Vegan
kitchen waste is probably an animal product under the order.

Sorry, I can't see what you mean. I think it all hinges on the
definition
of animal by-products:

From the 1999 order:

'Interpretation and scope

Snip for clarity

At the risk of taking this slightly beyond the realms of gardening. There
are a number of problems with the legality of compost heaps that we are
now
encountering.

We grow pretty well everything edible and raise pigs, poultry, sheep and
cattle - all on a very small scale.

The reasonable desire to keep animal scraps away from animals, leads into
some very strange country.

We now have problems keeping a pig and a compost heap. The theory being
that
we might put kitchen waste which might contain scraps which might get to
the
pig. So basically the combination is banned. Pigs or compost heaps, not
both
UNLESS and we are lucky, you have a separate sink away from the kitchen
in
which vegetables are prepared. We are lucky, we do.

I say "pigs" because we are no longer allowed to keep a single sow
(animal
welfare). So that is the end of the cottager's pig. In reality that means
minimum of two sows plus one (spare) and the prospect of up to thirty
plus
piglets per year. We are not commercial, we sell nothing, so this new
legislation is causing very real problems. The combinations of
restrictions
are starting to make our lifestyle impossible.

There is no doubt that quite aside from the silly scare stories in the
newspapers, new rules are now invading territory that was once the
protected
preserve of the amateur.

I can see that being a big problem. Especially as the concepts of keeping a
few animals for yourself and composting are not from a totally different
planet. Maybe the bit in the amanement applies -where they use the
definiteion of livestock, instead of animal. Livestock being any animals
used for farming. Would your situation be regarded as farming or not? I
expect it would, as I expect Sod's Law to apply wherever possible.

Tim.

Tim.

Old 27-06-2003, 08:20 AM
martin

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:07:51 +0200, Tim
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:25:30 +0200, martin wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:03:31 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
As do I

I always feel slightly guilty though because I have an odd memory that
some
law came into being which would affect our rights to put tea bags into
the
compost bin.

Does anyone else remember that or am I totally mad)

Not TOTALLY. It is illegal (yes, a crime) to put disposable nappies

So how is one meant to dispose of them?

Sun bake them dry and smoke. Serve with horse radish sauce.

I feel sick! Tim.

It;s an acquired taste.
It's soon to be banned by Brussels :-)
--
martin

Old 27-06-2003, 08:20 AM
Tim

wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

No, my apologies. See below.

I confess my comments were not the result of personally digging
through the Big Book of Stupid EU Directives ( inc. the ones on bent
cucumbers and bananas ),

That'd be a full-time job. It must be a pretty big book by now.

but they were based on articles in a respected*
newspaper and I reckon that's good enough for a light-hearted comment
in uk.rec.gardening.

Absolutely.

I now await the EU Directive banning people on usenet from making
comments without providing extensive supporting evidence.

* Though I'm guessing it's not the one you take!

What are you trying to say here ? Come on, out with it. :-)

Andy ;-)

Andy, I should have posted as link to another article, and it was that to
which I was refering, but somehow I forgot to include the link. My mistake.
I wasn't actually commenting on your post.
No, I don't expect cast-iron documentary evidence at all in a discussion,
btw. But I would expect some sort of reference from a halfway decent site
that writes articles like that. Hence my comment on it being non-
followupable. Tim.

Old 27-06-2003, 09:10 AM
Tim

wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:25:30 +0200, martin wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:03:31 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
As do I

I always feel slightly guilty though because I have an odd memory
that some
law came into being which would affect our rights to put tea bags
into the
compost bin.

Does anyone else remember that or am I totally mad)

Not TOTALLY. It is illegal (yes, a crime) to put disposable nappies

So how is one meant to dispose of them?

Sun bake them dry and smoke. Serve with horse radish sauce.

I feel sick! Tim.

It;s an acquired taste. It's soon to be banned by Brussels :-)

I hope so ! The one thing they've ever done that's worth while. :-)
Tim.
Old 27-06-2003, 09:20 AM
martin

wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:25:30 +0200, martin wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:03:31 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
As do I

I always feel slightly guilty though because I have an odd memory
that some
law came into being which would affect our rights to put tea bags
into the
compost bin.

Does anyone else remember that or am I totally mad)

Not TOTALLY. It is illegal (yes, a crime) to put disposable nappies

So how is one meant to dispose of them?

Sun bake them dry and smoke. Serve with horse radish sauce.

I feel sick! Tim.

It;s an acquired taste. It's soon to be banned by Brussels :-)

I hope so ! The one thing they've ever done that's worth while. :-)

I would have thought the current consumer laws in UK that are the
direct result of an EU directive would be considered as worthwhile by
everybody except Dixons.

--
martin
Old 27-06-2003, 09:32 AM
Tim

I would have thought the current consumer laws in UK that are the
direct result of an EU directive would be considered as worthwhile by
everybody except Dixons.

Yeah ! Tim.

Old 27-06-2003, 09:58 AM
Tim

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:25:34 +0200, Tim
wrote:

I would have thought the current consumer laws in UK that are the
direct result of an EU directive would be considered as worthwhile by
everybody except Dixons.

Yeah ! Tim.

as an aside, I once had a very good freind who worked as a salesman for
Dixons. he was a nice bloke, and because he couldn't stand to listen to all
the slimy, lying sales-pitches he eventually left to save his concience. He
became an estate agent. Tim.

home made grow bags using tesco carrier bags. jww United Kingdom 5 13-06-2006 12:41 PM
Composting tea bags MPost Lawns 5 13-09-2005 01:14 PM
tea bags gramgill United Kingdom 57 04-02-2005 01:06 PM
Tea bags and coffee grains. GaryM Gardening 7 25-10-2003 04:22 AM
Composting Tea Bags paul pettet United Kingdom 2 25-06-2003 03:20 PM