GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Composting Tea Bags (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/34170-composting-tea-bags.html)

paul pettet 25-06-2003 08:30 PM

Composting Tea Bags

Hi All,

I've recently started to begin recycling everything I can at home, and was
wondering if I can put tea bags on my compost heap. Will the bags rot down
or do I just rip them and compost the actual tea. We tend to use a hell of a
lot of tea bags in our house.
Thanks.
Paul Pettet.

Nick Maclaren 25-06-2003 08:30 PM

Composting Tea Bags

In article ,
"paul pettet" writes:

| I've recently started to begin recycling everything I can at home, and was
| wondering if I can put tea bags on my compost heap. Will the bags rot down
| or do I just rip them and compost the actual tea. We tend to use a hell of a
| lot of tea bags in our house.

They will also compost if you don't rip them. Chuck 'em on.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Tim 25-06-2003 08:30 PM

Composting Tea Bags

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:14:32 +0100, paul pettet
wrote:

Hi All,

I've recently started to begin recycling everything I can at home, and
was
wondering if I can put tea bags on my compost heap. Will the bags rot
down
or do I just rip them and compost the actual tea. We tend to use a hell
of a
lot of tea bags in our house.
Thanks.
Paul Pettet.

Yep, they're good in a compost heap. Just bung them on whole. Whatever the
bags are made of it rots.
Tim.

bnd777 25-06-2003 09:32 PM

Composting Tea Bags

Either in compost heap or a worm bin Tea Bags are fine
I put every single ounce of kitchen waste including coffe grinds, citrus
peel and the contents of vacumn cleaner in my compost and its great stuff

Ophelia 25-06-2003 09:44 PM

Composting Tea Bags

As do I

I always feel slightly guilty though because I have an odd memory that some
law came into being which would affect our rights to put tea bags into the
compost bin.

Does anyone else remember that or am I totally mad:))

Ophelia 25-06-2003 09:56 PM

Composting Tea Bags

wrote:

As do I

I always feel slightly guilty though because I have an odd memory that

some
law came into being which would affect our rights to put tea bags into

the
compost bin.

Does anyone else remember that or am I totally mad:))

no and yes

Fank goodness *giggle*

Mike 25-06-2003 10:08 PM

Composting Tea Bags

In article , Ophelia
writes
As do I

I always feel slightly guilty though because I have an odd memory that some
law came into being which would affect our rights to put tea bags into the
compost bin.

Does anyone else remember that or am I totally mad:))

Wasn't that the old fashioned tea leaves down the drain because they
would block it? Whereas coffee grouts would clear a drain?

Seem to remember it yonks ago when my parents had an hotel and I was
roped into helping in the kitchens and came to my lot to do the tea and
coffee pots after breakfast :-((

Mike
Forthcoming reunions.
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

martin 25-06-2003 10:08 PM

Composting Tea Bags

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:50:25 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

As do I

I always feel slightly guilty though because I have an odd memory that

some
law came into being which would affect our rights to put tea bags into

the
compost bin.

Does anyone else remember that or am I totally mad:))

no and yes

Fank goodness *giggle*

You'll be needing one of these then
http://www.nettrader.co.uk/custom/lambswoolduster/
--
martin

Nick Maclaren 25-06-2003 10:32 PM

Composting Tea Bags

In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
As do I

I always feel slightly guilty though because I have an odd memory that some
law came into being which would affect our rights to put tea bags into the
compost bin.

Does anyone else remember that or am I totally mad:))

Not TOTALLY. It is illegal (yes, a crime) to put disposable nappies
into the dustbin, and there was a proposal to make it illegal to
put meat scraps into the compost bin, but I don't remember anything
explicitly about tea bags.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Kay Easton 25-06-2003 11:20 PM

Composting Tea Bags

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
As do I

I always feel slightly guilty though because I have an odd memory that some
law came into being which would affect our rights to put tea bags into the
compost bin.

Does anyone else remember that or am I totally mad:))

Not TOTALLY. It is illegal (yes, a crime) to put disposable nappies

So how is one meant to dispose of them?

into the dustbin, and there was a proposal to make it illegal to
put meat scraps into the compost bin, but I don't remember anything
explicitly about tea bags.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

andrewpreece 25-06-2003 11:44 PM

Composting Tea Bags

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
As do I

I always feel slightly guilty though because I have an odd memory that

some
law came into being which would affect our rights to put tea bags into

the
compost bin.

Does anyone else remember that or am I totally mad:))

Not TOTALLY. It is illegal (yes, a crime) to put disposable nappies

So how is one meant to dispose of them?

into the dustbin, and there was a proposal to make it illegal to
put meat scraps into the compost bin, but I don't remember anything
explicitly about tea bags.

Isn't it illegal ( EU directive ) to have a compost heap within 270 feet (?)
of a domestic dwelling, so if you have one at all you're probably a
criminal, never mind what you put on it.....
It is also illegal ( EU directive ) to burn wood on other than the
ground it was grown on. I expect you'll all be turning yourselves in to
the police bright and early tomorrow - if you come clean they might go
easy on you!!!

Andy

Nick Maclaren 26-06-2003 12:08 AM

Composting Tea Bags

In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
As do I

I always feel slightly guilty though because I have an odd memory that some
law came into being which would affect our rights to put tea bags into the
compost bin.

Does anyone else remember that or am I totally mad:))

Not TOTALLY. It is illegal (yes, a crime) to put disposable nappies

So how is one meant to dispose of them?

Where DID you get the idea that it is either the manufacturers' or
the government's concern to allow you a legal way of disposing of
things that they encourage you to buy?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ophelia 26-06-2003 08:37 AM

Composting Tea Bags

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Ophelia
writes
As do I

I always feel slightly guilty though because I have an odd memory that

some
law came into being which would affect our rights to put tea bags into

the
compost bin.

Does anyone else remember that or am I totally mad:))

Wasn't that the old fashioned tea leaves down the drain because they
would block it? Whereas coffee grouts would clear a drain?

No Mike it was definitely to do with compost heaps

Ophelia 26-06-2003 08:37 AM

Composting Tea Bags

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
As do I

I always feel slightly guilty though because I have an odd memory that

some
law came into being which would affect our rights to put tea bags into

the
compost bin.

Does anyone else remember that or am I totally mad:))

Not TOTALLY.

thankew thankew...I knew there would be at least one kind person here;))