Old 25-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Rick McGreal

Default Gathering sweetpea seeds

I have a sweetpea outside that seems to be setting 'pods'
I was hoping to gather any seeds and pass them to people as the smell from
these is WONDERFUL....The flower isn't that great.....But its a nice shade
of deep purple....

My mum and a couple of other people have already said that they would like
seeds if I can get them...

So....How should I do it?

Should I gather the pods when they fall off and pass these out?
Or do I need to 'pick' them?
If I need to pick them when should I do it?
Old 25-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Rick McGreal

Rick McGreal wrote in
:

I have a sweetpea outside that seems to be setting 'pods'
I was hoping to gather any seeds and pass them to people as the smell
from these is WONDERFUL....The flower isn't that great.....But its a
nice shade of deep purple....

Damn....Forgot to put in an image link....
*Sigh*
Its late...So I have an excuse.....Sort of! B-)

http://rick.mynock.com/misc/sweetpea.jpg (61k in size)

Old 26-06-2003, 02:23 AM
Marcus Fox

"Rick McGreal" wrote in message
Rick McGreal wrote in
:

I have a sweetpea outside that seems to be setting 'pods'
I was hoping to gather any seeds and pass them to people as the smell
from these is WONDERFUL....The flower isn't that great.....But its a
nice shade of deep purple....

You need to wait until the seed pods are dry and brown. But not so late as
the pods pop open and spread their seeds. You can take them out like you do
when you shell peas, except the seeds are a bit smaller, about half the
size.

Marcus

Old 26-06-2003, 10:21 AM
D.A. Beauregard

Those look like 'Matucana' to me. I prefer the appearance of the flowers
to that of the modern frilly monsters. If you don't want to reduce further
flowering by allowing yours to set seed, you could buy a packet of seeds
to distribute among your friends and relatives.

From url://http://www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/wisley/archive/wisleypomjun.asp:

"The original sweet pea was a purple & blue bicolour (two similar cultivars
are listed in modern catalogues as 'Cupani' and 'Matucana')"

Daniel

Old 26-06-2003, 04:56 PM
D.A. Beauregard

In article ,
Rick McGreal wrote:

Ah.....So then should I pick off the pods as they are now?
Should I dead head the rest of teh flowers to help keep it flowering?

That's what the books say, deadhead as the flowers fade. You could
let one of the pods mature and sow the seeds to see what new
hybrids have been created, if the flower was pollenated by other
flowers in the area. I've never tried this.

Daniel

Old 26-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Rick McGreal
writes
(D.A. Beauregard) wrote in
:

Those look like 'Matucana' to me. I prefer the appearance of the
flowers to that of the modern frilly monsters. If you don't want to
reduce further flowering by allowing yours to set seed, you could buy
a packet of seeds to distribute among your friends and relatives.

Ah.....So then should I pick off the pods as they are now?
Should I dead head the rest of teh flowers to help keep it flowering?

From
url://http://www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/wisley/archive/wisleypomjun.asp:
"The original sweet pea was a purple & blue bicolour (two similar
cultivars are listed in modern catalogues as 'Cupani' and 'Matucana')"

Ah....In that case I'll ask at the local garden centre...
I didn't realise I had such a generic brand....B-)

Yours looks too pale for matucana

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 26-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Rick McGreal

Kay Easton wrote in
:

Yours looks too pale for matucana

Actually some flowers are paler than others...
A couple of them are a REAL dark purple...Some are more washed out....
1 is almost pink!
But they all smell exactly the same....Well....As much that my nose can't
tell them apart....B-)