Old 26-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Alan

Default Eryngium (Sea Holly) ????

I seen this at Cawdor Castle yesterday. Can someone tell me what it is as
I'd like to buy one. Seems like some sort of Eryngium (Sea Holly) but if so
which species. It's certainly not the one I normally see. This one has very
feathey flowers. The plant was growing to about 4 or 5 feet. BTW if anyones
up near Inverness, Cawdor Castle gardens are well worth a visit.

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~haggis63/whats-this.jpg

Alan

Old 26-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Bart Bailey

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:39:43 +0100, "Alan"
wrote:

I seen this at Cawdor Castle yesterday. Can someone tell me what it is as
I'd like to buy one. Seems like some sort of Eryngium (Sea Holly) but if so
which species. It's certainly not the one I normally see. This one has very
feathey flowers. The plant was growing to about 4 or 5 feet. BTW if anyones
up near Inverness, Cawdor Castle gardens are well worth a visit.

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~haggis63/whats-this.jpg

Alan

Wouldn't happen to be a type of Thistle, would it?
http://www.mccullagh.org/db7/d30-30/thistle.jpg

Bart
Old 26-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Janice

I bet it's Eryngium alpinum Blue Star. Cut and paste the full URL to see a
photo of it.

http://www.jparkers.co.uk/index.cfm?...d&continueacti
on=category.search&search=alpinum&producttype_id=1 6130

Old 26-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Bart Bailey
writes
wrote:

I seen this at Cawdor Castle yesterday. Can someone tell me what it is as
I'd like to buy one. Seems like some sort of Eryngium (Sea Holly) but if so
which species. It's certainly not the one I normally see. This one has very
feathey flowers. The plant was growing to about 4 or 5 feet. BTW if anyones
up near Inverness, Cawdor Castle gardens are well worth a visit.

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~haggis63/whats-this.jpg

Alan

Wouldn't happen to be a type of Thistle, would it?
http://www.mccullagh.org/db7/d30-30/thistle.jpg

No - it is definitely an Eryngium.

And your picture wasn't a thistle either ;-)
It was a teasel - different family altogether - Dipsacaceae, as opposed
to carrot family for sea holly and daisy family for thistle.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 26-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Bart Bailey

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:25:10 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

Wouldn't happen to be a type of Thistle, would it?
http://www.mccullagh.org/db7/d30-30/thistle.jpg

No - it is definitely an Eryngium.

And your picture wasn't a thistle either ;-)
It was a teasel - different family altogether - Dipsacaceae, as opposed
to carrot family for sea holly and daisy family for thistle.

It's a pic I had seen before from a digicam gallery reference,
http://www.mccullagh.org/image/d30-30/
and googled it up again, but it looks like the dead dried winter remains
of thistle I've seen in fields. Maybe your Eryngiums and our thistles
are like our respective yellow hammer birds? g

Bart

Old 27-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Bart Bailey
writes
wrote:

Wouldn't happen to be a type of Thistle, would it?
http://www.mccullagh.org/db7/d30-30/thistle.jpg

No - it is definitely an Eryngium.

And your picture wasn't a thistle either ;-)
It was a teasel - different family altogether - Dipsacaceae, as opposed
to carrot family for sea holly and daisy family for thistle.

It's a pic I had seen before from a digicam gallery reference,
http://www.mccullagh.org/image/d30-30/
and googled it up again, but it looks like the dead dried winter remains
of thistle I've seen in fields. Maybe your Eryngiums and our thistles
are like our respective yellow hammer birds? g

I guess it's another demonstration of why we need the latin names!

Your pic is Dipsacus lacianatum or D fullonem - the latter was used in
the woollen trade for brushing out the nap on cloth. A whole lot of
teasel heads were put in a frame which was dragged across the cloth. It
was a long time before they managed to manufacture a brush which did the
job as well as the natural product.

The teasel is related to the scabious - Knautia, and when it flowers,
the whole head is a purple mass of flowers.

The round bit on a thistle is basically the calyx, and the flowers are
in a tuft at the top:

www.southernskyphoto.com/ macro/gallery_3.htm

The Eryngium looks superficially like the teasel in that the whole head
is made up of flowers, but if you look closely they are in an umbel,
which puts them in Umbellifereae (carrot family) - the nearest is
probably Astrantia.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 27-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Chris Stewart

"Alan" wrote in message
I seen this at Cawdor Castle yesterday. Can someone tell me what it is

as
I'd like to buy one. Seems like some sort of Eryngium (Sea Holly) but if

so
which species. It's certainly not the one I normally see. This one has

very
feathey flowers. The plant was growing to about 4 or 5 feet. BTW if

anyones
up near Inverness, Cawdor Castle gardens are well worth a visit.

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~haggis63/whats-this.jpg

Alan

I'm sure your right - it's certainly not a teasel.
Chris S

Picots Blue Dwarf Sea holly lannerman Gardening 0 03-03-2011 07:17 PM
Sea Shepherd News Japan Acknowledges Sea Shepherd’s Defense of the Whales Holly United Kingdom 1 17-04-2008 04:30 PM
Sea Shepherd Announces: Seal Defense Campaign 2008! Sea ShepherdCrew to Shift from the Southern Ice to the Northern Ice [email protected] United Kingdom 1 06-04-2008 08:41 AM
OT sea to shining sea KenCo Ponds 0 21-11-2003 03:13 AM
Large Flowered Eryngium mbb United Kingdom 1 09-08-2003 02:14 AM