Old 26-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Warwick

Default Looks like we're being listened to

The long...

http://news.independent.co.uk/digita...p?story=419064

and the short of it

http://tinyurl.com/fd9j

fair use

Proving that the garden makeover concept can be as strong on the
computer screen as it already is in the television schedules, the new
version of the software, Geoff Hamilton's 3D Garden Designer, which
costs £30, has been a surprising bestseller in the eight weeks since it
was released, according to the high-street chain, Game.

Some, though, seem to be sticking with traditional methods - even if
they do have access to a computer. In the internet discussion group
uk.rec.gardening, one user who had tried a number of the products wrote:
"Dunno if I'd use garden design software in anger. Graph paper or
better, a sketch pad if you're artistic, give the most flexibility and
allow you to work on it onsite." Others agreed. "You are much better off
with some squared paper and a pencil, it's quicker and you can get a
better idea of what you're doing," wrote "Pete the Gardener" in March

/fair use

Warwick

Old 27-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Jim W

Warwick wrote:

[...]

In other words a researcher/journalist has done their work and is giving
the source.

Wish someone'd pay me stacks of dosh to write about how I use the web;-)
//
Jim
Old 28-06-2003, 08:59 AM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , JennyC
writes
Surely the web is just as reliable or not as other sources ........?

The WWW as a whole is well down on the list of reliability, as is
UseNet. (There's very little quality control on either.) Some bits are
good, others are nonsense, and one has to be able to tell the
difference.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.meden.demon.co.uk/Malvaceae/Malvaceae.html
Old 28-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Malcolm

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:17:06 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Chris Norton contains these words:

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:19:15 +0100,
(Jim W) wrote:

In other words a researcher/journalist has done their work and is giving
the source.

Imho trawling usenet archives for unverifiable soundbites hardly
counts as research...or even, professional journalism :~}

Usenet archives are an extremely valuable research tool, which you
would know if you ever bothered to look.

Just because your usual, somewhat flimsy arguments are discredited via
online resources, doesn't mean many of us should follow the dead end
you have led yourself, how strange to have the world at your
fingertips, and yet try to isolate yourself? seems daft to me.

Whats the chances of a gardening journo suddenly getting asked to do a
piece on gardening software and them being a lurker on here?

Come on reveal yourself. 8-)

We have in the past had a self-styled journalist turn up on urg openly
looking for material he intended to sell.

And why not, resource is resource, as long as he never quoted you I
think he would be quite safe.

--

So, you dont like reasoned,
well thought out, civil debate?

I understand.

/´¯/)
/¯../
/..../
/´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
/'/.../..../......./¨¯\
('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
\.................'...../
''...\.......... _.·´
\..............(
\.............\..
Old 28-06-2003, 11:23 AM
martin

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 07:51:45 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In article , JennyC
writes
Surely the web is just as reliable or not as other sources ........?

The WWW as a whole is well down on the list of reliability, as is
UseNet. (There's very little quality control on either.) Some bits are
good, others are nonsense, and one has to be able to tell the
difference.

The same applies to newspapers, magazine articles, TV and the Prime
Minister's spin doctor.
--
martin

Old 28-06-2003, 03:20 PM
anton

JennyC wrote in message ...

Surely the web is just as reliable or not as other sources ........?

"..And she shows you where to look
Among the garbage and the flowers "

--
Anton

Old 28-06-2003, 04:32 PM
JennyC

In article , JennyC
writes
Surely the web is just as reliable or not as other sources

.........?

The WWW as a whole is well down on the list of reliability, as is
UseNet. (There's very little quality control on either.) Some bits

are
good, others are nonsense, and one has to be able to tell the
difference.

But HOW ??
Jenny

Old 28-06-2003, 04:32 PM
JennyC

"anton" wrote in message

JennyC wrote in message ...
Surely the web is just as reliable or not as other sources

.........?

"..And she shows you where to look
Among the garbage and the flowers "
Anton

Hi Anton !

She is wearing rags and feathers
From Salvation Army counters............

That's me that is :~)) Jenny

Old 28-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Mike

In article , JennyC
writes

In article , JennyC
writes
Surely the web is just as reliable or not as other sources

........?

The WWW as a whole is well down on the list of reliability, as is
UseNet. (There's very little quality control on either.) Some bits

are
good, others are nonsense, and one has to be able to tell the
difference.

But HOW ??
Jenny

By not quite 'believing' fully the first time you read something, but to
continue your research into the matter further.

Just been a very interesting thread on uk.people.ex-forces where someone
said they were going to dive on H.M.S.Falmouth. There was a discussion
about it and an ex crew member came on line and said 'My old ship', I
posted details of the H.M.S.Falmouth of the 1960's and he said 'Yup,
that's her'

We could have all gone away 'believing' this was the one we were all
talking about, but it turned out we were all wrong, it was the
H.M.S.Falmouth which was hit by 2 torpedoes at 4.52 on August 19th 1916
and headed for home, but was hit twice again off Flamborough Head by
another U Boat.

So whilst the research could have ended with one ship, further questions
proved that to be wrong. About 5 people joined into this conversation
feeding a bit here and a bit there to make the full picture.

Mike

Forthcoming reunions.
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Old 28-06-2003, 05:20 PM
martin

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:24:34 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

"anton" wrote in message

JennyC wrote in message ...
Surely the web is just as reliable or not as other sources

........?

"..And she shows you where to look
Among the garbage and the flowers "
Anton