Old 27-06-2003, 06:32 PM
encoderX

Default Which winter veg to grow?

Hi
I'm asking for a relative who has a large(ish) allotment. He would like to
know what can be done in winter on the allotment eg: preperation, which veg
to plant and which veg to plant that will grow over the winter. We live in
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.
Any websites on this specific time of year would be great I've googled
but not found much tbh, either that or I'm missing something.

Thankyou in advance for any help

Anthony
http://encoderX.co.uk
Part of the Fedz Network - http://Fedz.co.uk
10 FREE UK sms per day @ http://www.118.com/
Old 27-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Chris

In article , encoderX
writes
I'm asking for a relative who has a large(ish) allotment. He would like
to know what can be done in winter on the allotment eg: preperation,
which veg to plant and which veg to plant that will grow over the
winter. We live in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

Leeks and parsnips.
--
Chris
Old 27-06-2003, 08:27 PM
The Devil's Advocate

I think you mean what can you do in the winter rather than what you can put
in now for the winter. I dig over any unused ground and in some places add
manure to the surface for the worms to take it down. Manure raspberry canes
and other fruit such as blackcurrants at some time over the winter. In late
winter or early spring add a general fertiliser to the ground. Prepare your
trellises for runner beans, sweet peas etc., by digging out trenches and
filling with manure or compost. Where I live I sow broad beans in November
or December but I'm not sure if you can get away with that in Huddersfield.
Where you are too sow parsnips and carrots don't put any manure. I have
found that lime helps to prevent canker on parsnips. For crops that can be
growing into the winter you can have cabbages (January King is our
favourite), curly greens, purple sprouting broccoli, over-wintering onions,
garlic, parsnips, leeks. Too late to put sprouts in now I think

:
: Thankyou in advance for any help
:
: Anthony
: http://encoderX.co.uk
: Part of the Fedz Network - http://Fedz.co.uk
: -----------------------------------------------------------
: 10 FREE UK sms per day @ http://www.118.com/

Robert South West England The Flag of Devon

Old 28-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Anthony wrote in message
I'm asking for a relative who has a large(ish) allotment. He would like to
know what can be done in winter on the allotment eg: preperation, which

veg
to plant and which veg to plant that will grow over the winter. We live in
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.
Any websites on this specific time of year would be great I've googled
but not found much tbh, either that or I'm missing something.

Plants that grow over the winter...

Garlic...planted Sept will crop June/July.
Leek.... bit late to plant now but it might just work.
Brussels Sprout.... Should already be a foot tall and will crop all winter
if you choose the right varieties. (Trafalgar, Icarus)
Winter Cabbage.... Again, should already be in but you could try planting
some and will crop during winter. (Winter Tundra)
Savoy Cabbage....as above.
Winter Cauliflowers.... (Walcheren Winter Armardo April) Again, should
already be in and normally crop about April... the best cauliflower crop to
grow as there are no pests about. Nice clean heads. Freeze for use later.
Broccoli....(Christmas Marvel) again, should be in now.

Work to do during winter...

Thorough clean up.
Winter digging... dig the plot in early winter (depends on soil though) let
the frost get to it to break it up.
Incorporate manure (and spread lime if necessary).
Order seeds for the coming season (the best bit) :-)
Cut pea sticks (if you can find a suitable hedge etc)
Cut new Bean Poles (as above)

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 28-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Bob wrote in message ...
[...]

Cut new Bean Poles for the framework (as above)

AND how could I forget Parsnips and Swedes both of which should already be
planted.
Wallflowers look/smell nice too and can be cut for the house.

Old 28-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Paul Taylor

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:28:15 +0100, Sue & Bob Hobden wrote:

Leek.... bit late to plant
now but it might just work.

I have recently put some leeks that are ready late (April). The packet
said sow June/July - can't remember what variety they were now but
certainly late leeks are a possiblility.

Regards,

PT.
Old 28-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Justin Thyme

[...]

How do urglers use the ground after digging potatoes?

Almost all the crops mentioned above should already be planted..

I have just dug a new potato patch this year with a range of earlies to
maincrop and am wondering how best to use the land after digging the
earlies.

Old 29-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Justin wrote in message

How do urglers use the ground after digging potatoes?

Almost all the crops mentioned above should already be planted..

I have just dug a new potato patch this year with a range of earlies to
maincrop and am wondering how best to use the land after digging the
earlies.

As we grow all our Brassicas in modules at home before planting out we do
sometimes use the space left by the first early spuds for some of the winter
brassicas.
Also for Spring Onions, a late pea crop (use an early pea variety like
Feltham First 'cause it's quick growing), Lettuce.

Old 29-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Paul wrote in message
Leek.... bit late to plant
now but it might just work.

I have recently put some leeks that are ready late (April). The packet
said sow June/July - can't remember what variety they were now but
certainly late leeks are a possiblility.

That sounds interesting, can you remember the Seed Co or anything to give me
a clue to the name?

Old 29-06-2003, 07:32 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Justin
Thyme writes
I have just dug a new potato patch this year with a range of earlies to
maincrop and am wondering how best to use the land after digging the
earlies.

We cleared one row of early potaoes this week to make space for a batch
of oriental salad greens which we had seeded a few weeks ago. Another
row will be coming out today and we shall sow a quick catch crop of
radish and other roots, to be lifted very young. If you don't have
anything in particular to put in, the ground can be left open to fallow
either until late summer/autumn planting or till next spring. Or you
could dribble a sowing of green manure seed in and turn that in before
any seed heads begin to mature.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 29-06-2003, 09:20 AM
The Devil's Advocate

You can sow a row of leek seeds now as well as planting out and they last a
lot longer next year even though they won't be as big as normal

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk
"Paul Taylor" wrote in message
news : On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:28:15 +0100, Sue & Bob Hobden wrote:
:
:
: Leek.... bit late to plant
: now but it might just work.