Old 28-06-2003, 09:11 AM
Rick

Default Can I grow Gem Squash & Yams in UK?

Wonder if anyone can help?

I am trying to grow some Gem Squash from South African, in growbags,
outside on a SSW facing spot in the garden. The plants are doing
quite well at the moment and have just stated to fruit, about the size
of a large grape.

Do you think I will be successful in growing them to there full size
in this climate?

Do I need to pinch the end of the plant off once thy have reached a
certain length to encourage fruit growth?

Just one more query.

Can I successfully grow Sweet Potato in this country, I thought of
planting them in a very large bucket type container and earthing them
up as the plant grows.

Many Thanks.

Regards.

Rick.

(From U.K.)
Old 28-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rick wrote:

I am trying to grow some Gem Squash from South African, in growbags,
outside on a SSW facing spot in the garden. The plants are doing
quite well at the moment and have just stated to fruit, about the size
of a large grape.

You should be in luck. I grow them and they do well. Mine have got
a little further (i.e. the first fruits are just pickable).

Mine are Little Gem, which I assume are similar in requirements.

Do you think I will be successful in growing them to there full size
in this climate?

Yes. Whether you can get them to mature for keeping is another matter,
but eating them young is no problem. They will mature for keeping
only if we get a decent summer and autumn. I have done it, but it
doesn't happen every year.

Do I need to pinch the end of the plant off once thy have reached a
certain length to encourage fruit growth?

You don't need to - you can. It is more a question of the shape of
your space.

Just one more query.

Can I successfully grow Sweet Potato in this country, I thought of
planting them in a very large bucket type container and earthing them
up as the plant grows.

Effectively not. They need a long, warm growing season, and the UK
has a short, cool one. People HAVE succeeded in special polytunnels,
but it is a task for fanatics.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Ross

article on growing Sweet Potatoes on page 39 of this month's Gardeners
World. To summarise, Pippa suggests growing the variety 'Beauregard' and
using cloches

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Rick wrote:

[...]

---

Old 28-06-2003, 05:58 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Ross wrote:
article on growing Sweet Potatoes on page 39 of this month's Gardeners
World. To summarise, Pippa suggests growing the variety 'Beauregard' and
using cloches

Some evidence of practicability would be useful. Given the notorious
difficulty of getting a decent crop even in places that are much
hotter than we are, I suggest taking that article with a pinch of
salt.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-06-2003, 06:57 PM
Rick

Rick wrote:

I am trying to grow some Gem Squash from South African, in growbags,
outside on a SSW facing spot in the garden. The plants are doing
quite well at the moment and have just stated to fruit, about the size
of a large grape.

You should be in luck. I grow them and they do well. Mine have got
a little further (i.e. the first fruits are just pickable).

Thanks Nick and Ross for your help and advice. Pity about the Yams,
but looking forward to the Gems.

Will remind me of my time I spent in S.A. (7 years) when I get to eat
them!

Regards.

Nick.

Old 28-06-2003, 07:33 PM
Jim W

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Ross wrote:
article on growing Sweet Potatoes on page 39 of this month's Gardeners
World. To summarise, Pippa suggests growing the variety 'Beauregard' and
using cloches

Some evidence of practicability would be useful. Given the notorious
difficulty of getting a decent crop even in places that are much
hotter than we are, I suggest taking that article with a pinch of
salt.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I agree with Nicks original posting, while they will certainly 'grow'
in the UK, getting a realistic crop may be a harder job.. If you have
the space and time, be our guest;-)

At least until someone comes up a Hardy Sweet Potato.. Won't be long
//
Jim

Little Gem (Gem/Rolet) woes Nick Maclaren[_5_] United Kingdom 1 14-05-2016 05:55 PM
Gem Squash Rodney Smith Texas 0 04-10-2003 11:22 AM
gem squash Rodney Smith Texas 1 29-09-2003 04:02 PM
Gem Squash fruit dropping off? Rick United Kingdom 0 26-07-2003 12:22 AM
Help - My Gem Squash Again! Rick United Kingdom 0 09-07-2003 09:32 AM