GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   while you're all feeling creative (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/34604-while-youre-all-feeling-creative.html)

a 28-06-2003 05:32 PM

while you're all feeling creative

with the short path suggestions ;-)

We have just cleared the end of the garden which was all overgrown and had a
rotting shed. The bit near the house is just a lawn with a flower bed down
each side, but we now have a bare patch at the top about 20ft wide by 10ft.
We were just going to flag it but I think something a bit more interesting
could be done. It will have a garden bench on it and maybe a table/chairs
(probably next year now though!) so it would need to be quite solid (or at
least the some of it would need to be).

Any ideas? Maybe a few flags surrounded by gravel or slate chippings?

cheers

da.

Sacha 28-06-2003 06:58 PM

while you're all feeling creative

in article , a at
wrote on 28/6/03 4:29 pm:

with the short path suggestions ;-)

We have just cleared the end of the garden which was all overgrown and had a
rotting shed. The bit near the house is just a lawn with a flower bed down
each side, but we now have a bare patch at the top about 20ft wide by 10ft.
We were just going to flag it but I think something a bit more interesting
could be done. It will have a garden bench on it and maybe a table/chairs
(probably next year now though!) so it would need to be quite solid (or at
least the some of it would need to be).

Any ideas? Maybe a few flags surrounded by gravel or slate chippings?

How about sinking some tall posts into the ground in a semi-circle and
growing climbers up them so that you form a sort of bower. If you wanted
to, you could then put laths or trellising across from post to post and
create a pergola at the same time. If you want to have a table and chairs
there, I'd have paving rather than gravel and make sure the paving is flat
and firmly 'set'. Knock the corner off the paving slabs here and there and
plant low-growing but nicely smelling herbs, like Thyme so that when you
walk there and brush against them, they release their scent.
--

Sacha

a 29-06-2003 12:32 AM

while you're all feeling creative

How about sinking some tall posts into the ground in a semi-circle and
growing climbers up them so that you form a sort of bower. If you wanted
to, you could then put laths or trellising across from post to post and
create a pergola at the same time. If you want to have a table and chairs
there, I'd have paving rather than gravel and make sure the paving is flat
and firmly 'set'. Knock the corner off the paving slabs here and there

and
plant low-growing but nicely smelling herbs, like Thyme so that when you
walk there and brush against them, they release their scent.

sounds intersting :-)