Old 04-07-2003, 09:08 PM
Banana

Default Plant identification needed and a few questions!

"The Devil's Advocate" wrote in message
| Looks like bindweed to me. You can keep it if you want, best way really
| because you'll have a heck of a job getting rid of it
|
| Banana wrote:
| : Hi all,
| :
| : I wonder if someone could identify the white plant in these 2
| : pictures for me: http://www.btinternet.com/~bananaland/plants/
| :
| : The pictures are DSC01589 and DSC01591.
| :
| : I have noticed that they seem to cling to items very well and I was
| : wondering if they would thrive or at least be okay in a shaded,
| : semi-indoor environment?
| :
| : Also, if I took a cutting, do they root well?
| :
| : Any info (or additional info) will be greatly welcomed.
| :
| : Banana
| :
| : (or Paul, if you prefer!)
|
| Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

Snipping it is not a problem as there would only be *one* primary plant to tender.

Banana

Old 04-07-2003, 09:33 PM
Banana

"Jeff Coles" wrote in message
| But I hasten to add, I agree with the most popular identification, that of
| bindweed (Convovulvus) despite its beautiful flower, it does have a tendancy
| to "throttle" other plants.
| Jeff.
snip

As I mentioned, there would be no other plant to strangle or 'throttle'; it would be a
singular, solitary plant for the purposes of decoration.

I still have an unanswered question... Is it regarded as a 'weed' or a 'plant'? I would
hate to propagate a weed that others saw as a pest, or as being something other than being
attractive.

The location of any plant would be here (my apologies for the large files)
http://www.btinternet.com/~bananaland/plants/location/
DSC01781.JPG shows the back wall where I would like the plant to creep and grow.
DSC01785.JPG is a reverse shot, showing the north facing light.

As ever, any further comments welcomed and will be replied to.

Regards,

Banana

Old 06-07-2003, 08:08 PM
anne

I'm almost kinda wondering if this is a wind-up. Banana, my allotment is
throttled by the stuff, I could recognise it 25 miles away and your pictures
definitely show bindweed in all its glory. However, it does have have very
nice flowers and if contained in a "pot" then it might be quite pleasant to
have around. To answer a few more of your questions: Yes it is a weed, it
grows between May and October, flowers from about June onwards and completly
dies back in November. It will root anywhere so you will have no problem
setting it off in a pot. It does need something to climb up though,
otherwise it will trail all over the ground and just look a mess - perhaps a
trellis would be a good idea.

Anne.

Old 07-07-2003, 10:57 AM
Banana

"anne" wrote in message ...
| I'm almost kinda wondering if this is a wind-up. Banana, my allotment is
| throttled by the stuff, I could recognise it 25 miles away and your pictures
| definitely show bindweed in all its glory. However, it does have have very
| nice flowers and if contained in a "pot" then it might be quite pleasant to
| have around. To answer a few more of your questions: Yes it is a weed, it
| grows between May and October, flowers from about June onwards and completly
| dies back in November. It will root anywhere so you will have no problem
| setting it off in a pot. It does need something to climb up though,
| otherwise it will trail all over the ground and just look a mess - perhaps a
| trellis would be a good idea.
|
| Anne.
snip

Hi Anne,

Thank you for the reply.

I assure you that this is not a wind up. I am merely trying to find an ideal type of plant
that will creep over the rather bland-looking brick work in this pictu
http://www.btinternet.com/~bananalan...n/DSC01781.JPG

I would like *a* plant (not necessarily a flowering kind) to creep all over the back wall,
over the door frames and then to trail off towards the light. I would then start to cut it
back slightly.

In the past, I have tried Ivy on the Iron work but this cast a rather depressing shadow
over our landing which is otherwise lit up from the window light (at the back of that
camera shot).

I think I will rule out Bindweed due to your advice. You mention that it dies off
completely in the winter; this would look terrible. My intention is to make the back wall
look more attractive. I wouldn't want to look at something that looks dead, over winter!

Yes, a trellis sounds a good idea but I have to get the plant issue sorted first. Do you
have any further ideas of a plant that would look good all year round? Maybe some kind of
plant with aerial roots?

There is no heating on the landing but in the 9 years I have been here, there has never
been a frost over Winter due to trapped heat from peoples front doors being opened
periodically.

That wall is North facing remember, it will never get any direct sunlight (although the
landing its self is quite bright).

If you have any further plant ideas I would be most grateful.

Regards,

Paul.

Old 07-07-2003, 12:00 PM
David Hill

Why not have some large pot holders on the railings and grow Ivy Geraniums,
(the small flowered types) and if as you say they get no frost then they may
well go on indefinitely.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 07-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Banana

"David Hill" wrote in message
| Why not have some large pot holders on the railings and grow Ivy Geraniums,
| (the small flowered types) and if as you say they get no frost then they may
| well go on indefinitely.
|
| --
| David Hill
| Abacus nurseries
| www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Thanks for the reply, David.

I can't seem to find a picture of a flowering Ivy (maybe I'm not trying hard enough?)

With Ivy in mind, have you any comments or experience on these 2 particular kind?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ges/1344.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ages/995.shtml

If I go for Ivy, it would have to be a less common kind.

Regards,

Paul.

Old 07-07-2003, 09:24 PM
anne

I think the first pic - Persian Ivy looks quite nice. It's evergreen at
least! Russian Vine (mentioned by Jeff) would be great, because it's so fast
growing (the ivy might take a while) but it loses it's leaves in winter I
think. If I were you, I'd stick with some kind of ivy, at least it will be
green all year round. Have you considered having just a few evergreen plants
lined up in a row that don't climb? Then you have more to choose from. I've
got some asparagus fern in a tub, it grows pretty fast, bushy-ish and
tallish, but you can guide it upwards kind of. You could attached some
planters to the wall aswell, with a few spider plants in for eg. (I'm
thinking of the low light problems here).

Anne :-)

Old 07-07-2003, 09:52 PM
Banana

"anne" wrote in message ...
| I think the first pic - Persian Ivy looks quite nice. It's evergreen at
| least! Russian Vine (mentioned by Jeff) would be great, because it's so fast
| growing (the ivy might take a while) but it loses it's leaves in winter I
| think. If I were you, I'd stick with some kind of ivy, at least it will be
| green all year round. Have you considered having just a few evergreen plants
| lined up in a row that don't climb? Then you have more to choose from. I've
| got some asparagus fern in a tub, it grows pretty fast, bushy-ish and
| tallish, but you can guide it upwards kind of. You could attached some
| planters to the wall aswell, with a few spider plants in for eg. (I'm
| thinking of the low light problems here).
|
| Anne :-)

Thanks Anne.

The affect I want to produce is one of a little 'wildness' indoors. If I were to attach
planters to the wall, I think I may loose the effect I want to create as they would look
'purposely' put there, although I agree they would be attractive in their own right.

It sounds like I am fairly limited to the Ivy with my situation.

I like the Persian Ivy and may opt for that. Russian Vine also seems nice but if it drops
its leaves everywhere, it may not be practical on a private and shared landing.

Regards,

Paul.

Old 07-07-2003, 10:12 PM
Banana

Old 07-07-2003, 10:15 PM
anne

Old 07-07-2003, 11:14 PM
Banana

Old 07-07-2003, 11:17 PM
Banana

Old 07-07-2003, 11:22 PM
Banana

Old 07-07-2003, 11:33 PM
Banana

Old 30-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Welsh Witch

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 11:10:28 +0000, Banana wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message
| Why not have some large pot holders on the railings and grow Ivy
| Geraniums, (the small flowered types) and if as you say they get no
| frost then they may well go on indefinitely.
|
| --
| David Hill
| Abacus nurseries
| www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Alternatively would you like some Canary Creeper. I bought a packet of
seed a few years ago they now cheerfully climb over everything that has a
vertical access. They're very joyful and how about climbing nasturtiums
more of the hot coloured jolly creatures. Theyr'e easy to weed out when
you get too manyas their leaves are very distinctive. Theyr'e not
sophisticated but they make you smile first thing in the morning!