Old 01-07-2003, 03:49 PM
Katharine Mill

Default mice - traps a danger to birds?

I've read lots of previous mousey threads but can't find the answer to
this question - forgive me if I missed it:

Might a mousetrap in the garden ensnare a rather clueless baby
blackbird?

My garden is currently being used as a bird creche - the parents park
the baby under a bush and then come and go while they look for food.
My baker neighbour has gone on holiday until August :-( and I seem
to be entertaining his vermin on my birdfeeder. Can I safely put a
trap out without worrying about the bird?

(I haven't seen a cat in the garden since last summer)

thanks for any advice
Katharine
Old 01-07-2003, 04:21 PM
Lee

We disbled our traps during the day and left them out only at night.
The mice and rats loved chocolate bars..... and they got squished in their
droves........

Maybe put the trap in a bit of water pipe? that the birds won't go into but
the beasties will?

Lee

om...

Old 01-07-2003, 05:08 PM
Paul D.Smith

Sage advice. Under a paving slab on a couple of bricks also works -
remember to allow enough room for the "snapper" to swing over though.

Also, currants work quite well and don't melt in the warm weather.
Sunflower seeds too.

Paul DS.

Old 01-07-2003, 08:08 PM
Drakanthus

Might a mousetrap in the garden ensnare a rather clueless baby
blackbird?

Katharine

Yes! I put some mouse traps out in the garden last year; one on a low wall
I'd seen mice run along. I was saddened to catch a house sparrow in it. I've
since put the mouse traps where birds don't go such as under the potting
shed, but still catch the odd mouse or two.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old 03-07-2003, 10:44 AM
Katharine Mill

Just what I feared. I'll try an upturned flower pot propped up on
bricks. I guess the mouse smells the food so I don't have to worry
about it being visible (?).

re bait: I've had success with muesli bars in the past but will give
peanut butter a go.

Ta for all the encouragement, anyway. I'm a bit of a wimp when it
comes to mice.

Katharine
Old 03-07-2003, 10:44 AM
Drakanthus

re bait: I've had success with muesli bars in the past but will give
peanut butter a go.

Katharine

I always use cheese. Mice seem to love it.
Just remembered a "proverb" - it is certainly true --

It is the early bird that gets the worm, but the second mouse that gets the
cheese!

Old 03-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Dave Liquorice

On 3 Jul 2003 02:37:02 -0700, Katharine Mill wrote:

I guess the mouse smells the food so I don't have to worry about it
being visible (?).

Yep.

re bait: I've had success with muesli bars in the past but will give
peanut butter a go.

Peanut butter is good but goes rancid fairly quickly, our mice don't
like rancid peanut butter. I now use Nutella, this does dry out over
time but in a lot longer time than it takes peanut butter to go
rancid.

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.