Old 01-07-2003, 05:20 PM
More to Wiggle

Default Woodlice and now also earwigs

"Janice" wrote in message
You can buy a powder (chemical) that will deter them from coming into your
house. I use it sparingly across the doorway where they seem to

congregate
in my kitchen.

I'll second that. They are the bane of my life and the way I stop them
getting in the house is to scatter a well known brand of ant powder along
the external doorsteps and under the carpet inside the doors. This seems to
keep them at bay. As for them not doing any damage, I have to strongly
disagree.

The little &*%$*s are lethal around soft fruit. Pick up what looks like a
ripe strawberry and you get a handful of them eating through the back of it.
My mange tout were eaten wherever they leant against the fence and they will
basically eat any such foodstuffs if they are in contact with a surface.
They also get all over my rabbit hutch and I'm not sure that they don't have
something to do with the gradual deterioration of the wood there. As for
bulbs, based on the fact that they left my onions and shallots alone, I
suspect they don't go for bulbs either.

Does anyone know if earwigs do any damage?

Vicky

Old 01-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Tim

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 17:11:33 +0100, More to Wiggle
wrote:

"Janice" wrote in message
[...]

Haven't quite got the hang of cause and effect yet?
nibbled, damaged fruit = woodlice, not woodlice = nibbled, damaged fruit.
Tim.

Old 01-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"More to Wiggle" writes:

| I'll second that. They are the bane of my life and the way I stop them
| getting in the house is to scatter a well known brand of ant powder along
| the external doorsteps and under the carpet inside the doors. This seems to
| keep them at bay. As for them not doing any damage, I have to strongly
| disagree.
|
| The little &*%$*s are lethal around soft fruit. Pick up what looks like a
| ripe strawberry and you get a handful of them eating through the back of it.
| My mange tout were eaten wherever they leant against the fence and they will
| basically eat any such foodstuffs if they are in contact with a surface.
| They also get all over my rabbit hutch and I'm not sure that they don't have
| something to do with the gradual deterioration of the wood there. As for
| bulbs, based on the fact that they left my onions and shallots alone, I
| suspect they don't go for bulbs either.

As I posted, you are blaming the people hanging around the scene
for the crime, rather than the culprit (who has scarpered). They
have very soft mouth parts and cannot eat anything that isn't
already half mushy. Perhaps an overripe strawberry, but not much
more than that.

What is happening will be that the fruit etc. are being damaged
by something else (probably abrasion in your case, but also slugs
and birds) and then the woodlice enter the hole and eat at the
damaged surfaces. Similarly, they may eat rotten wood, but most
definitely can't attack intact wood. If you have a damaged bulb,
you will find them there, too.

| Does anyone know if earwigs do any damage?

More than woodlice, but not much more.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:27 PM
More to Wiggle

As I posted, you are blaming the people hanging around the scene
for the crime, rather than the culprit (who has scarpered). They
have very soft mouth parts and cannot eat anything that isn't
already half mushy. Perhaps an overripe strawberry, but not much
more than that.

What is happening will be that the fruit etc. are being damaged
by something else (probably abrasion in your case, but also slugs
and birds) and then the woodlice enter the hole and eat at the
damaged surfaces. Similarly, they may eat rotten wood, but most
definitely can't attack intact wood. If you have a damaged bulb,
you will find them there, too.

| Does anyone know if earwigs do any damage?

More than woodlice, but not much more.

OK, I'll listen to the Be Nice to Woodies Campaign! But you have to admit
that it isn't very pleasant to pick anything up to find the underside alive
with little bodies dropping all over your hands. I'm not squeamish but this
one does get me, esp when there are so many that you can hear them moving
too!!

Vicky

Old 02-07-2003, 12:52 AM
LizR

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 22:48:41 +0100, "More to Wiggle" wrote:

As I posted, you are blaming the people hanging around the scene
for the crime, rather than the culprit (who has scarpered). They
have very soft mouth parts and cannot eat anything that isn't
already half mushy. Perhaps an overripe strawberry, but not much
more than that.

What is happening will be that the fruit etc. are being damaged
by something else (probably abrasion in your case, but also slugs
and birds) and then the woodlice enter the hole and eat at the
damaged surfaces. Similarly, they may eat rotten wood, but most
definitely can't attack intact wood. If you have a damaged bulb,
you will find them there, too.

| Does anyone know if earwigs do any damage?

More than woodlice, but not much more.

OK, I'll listen to the Be Nice to Woodies Campaign! But you have to admit
that it isn't very pleasant to pick anything up to find the underside alive
with little bodies dropping all over your hands. I'm not squeamish but this
one does get me, esp when there are so many that you can hear them moving
too!!

Vicky

They're all over the underside of my clothes prop (when it's lying in the flower bed,
not in use) and it's not too pleasant when they all drop off. I'm always encouraged
by how long they've been around (almost forever, apparently), so I don't mind 'em
*that* much.

Earwigs, on the other hand ...... bleauuchh!!

Liz

Old 02-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Peter Thomas

In message , More to Wiggle
writes

OK, I'll listen to the Be Nice to Woodies Campaign! But you have to admit
that it isn't very pleasant to pick anything up to find the underside alive
with little bodies dropping all over your hands.

I'm not squeamish

This is debatable. Woodlice are harmless, aesthetically pleasing and
mildly amusing critters. Now, as for inadvertently treading on slugs
with bare feet...

--
Peter Thomas
Old 02-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Tim

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 13:53:35 +0100, Peter Thomas
wrote:

In message , More to Wiggle
writes

OK, I'll listen to the Be Nice to Woodies Campaign! But you have to
admit
that it isn't very pleasant to pick anything up to find the underside
alive
with little bodies dropping all over your hands.

I'm not squeamish

This is debatable. Woodlice are harmless, aesthetically pleasing and
mildly amusing critters. Now, as for inadvertently treading on slugs
with bare feet...

....on a wet lawn. Yuck ! It's the moment when they go "pop" under the
toes that gets me.
Tim

Old 02-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Peter Thomas
writes
In message , More to Wiggle
writes

OK, I'll listen to the Be Nice to Woodies Campaign! But you have to admit
that it isn't very pleasant to pick anything up to find the underside alive
with little bodies dropping all over your hands.

I'm not squeamish

This is debatable. Woodlice are harmless, aesthetically pleasing and
mildly amusing critters. Now, as for inadvertently treading on slugs
with bare feet...

better than snails, which have sharp bits in ...
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 02-07-2003, 05:33 PM
More to Wiggle

OK, I'll listen to the Be Nice to Woodies Campaign! But you have to

admit
that it isn't very pleasant to pick anything up to find the underside

alive
with little bodies dropping all over your hands.

I'm not squeamish

This is debatable. Woodlice are harmless, aesthetically pleasing and
mildly amusing critters. Now, as for inadvertently treading on slugs
with bare feet...

better than snails, which have sharp bits in ...
--
Kay Easton

That'll teach me to eat my tea while reading this newsgroup!!!!!!!!

Vicky

Old 02-07-2003, 05:46 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"More to Wiggle" writes:

| That'll teach me to eat my tea while reading this newsgroup!!!!!!!!

Did it include slugs, snails or woodlice?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 02-07-2003, 06:08 PM
More to Wiggle

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
| That'll teach me to eat my tea while reading this newsgroup!!!!!!!!

Did it include slugs, snails or woodlice?

Don't mind a nice garlicky snail and my son can probably vouch for the taste
of woodlice having indulged at the tender age of 6 months! I draw the line
at slugs however..........

Vicky

PS It was a peanut butter sarnie

Old 02-07-2003, 06:09 PM
More to Wiggle

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
| That'll teach me to eat my tea while reading this newsgroup!!!!!!!!

Did it include slugs, snails or woodlice?

Don't mind a nice garlicky snail and my son can probably vouch for the taste
of woodlice having indulged at the tender age of 6 months! I draw the line
at slugs however..........

Vicky

PS It was a peanut butter sarnie

Woodlice and Virginia Creeper wilting David \(Normandy\) United Kingdom 3 07-05-2007 11:20 AM
Propagating Lavender - now also cold frame construction AWM United Kingdom 3 20-08-2003 03:42 PM
Woodlice Adam Powell United Kingdom 2 01-07-2003 01:35 PM
Woodlice - good or bad? Sharon Hughes United Kingdom 8 08-06-2003 10:44 PM
Composters and Woodlice JP United Kingdom 1 16-03-2003 06:08 PM