Old 01-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Mark Allison

Default Hedging with hornbeam

Hi gardeners!

I want to make a hedge to shelter my veggie patch from the wind. I am
thinking of using Hornbeam and growing it to about 6ft high. Does this
sound sensible? What other alternatives should I look at.

Finally, where's the cheapest place to obtain hornbeam? Is it worth looking
at cuttings? How long would they take to get to 6ft from cuttings?

Thanks!

--
Mark Allison, SQL Server MVP
http://www.allisonmitchell.com

Old 01-07-2003, 08:08 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Mark Allison" wrote in message
34.3...
Hi gardeners!

I want to make a hedge to shelter my veggie patch from the wind. I

am
thinking of using Hornbeam and growing it to about 6ft high. Does

this
sound sensible? What other alternatives should I look at.

Finally, where's the cheapest place to obtain hornbeam? Is it worth

looking
at cuttings? How long would they take to get to 6ft from cuttings?

Thanks!

--
Mark Allison, SQL Server MVP
http://www.allisonmitchell.com

Mark,

We have a 60 metre windbreak of hornbeam and were told by various
sources that it was the best for filtering the wind. The wind must
not be blocked as that causes worse problems. The hornbeam is the
best solution apparently.

Iris McCanna

Old 01-07-2003, 08:20 PM
Mark Allison

On 01 Jul 2003, "Barry & Iris McCanna" wrote the
following pearl of wisdom:

Mark,

We have a 60 metre windbreak of hornbeam and were told by various
sources that it was the best for filtering the wind. The wind must
not be blocked as that causes worse problems. The hornbeam is the
best solution apparently.

Iris McCanna

Thanks - anyone know of a good supplier?

Old 02-07-2003, 12:27 AM
anton

Mark Allison wrote in message ...
Hi gardeners!

I want to make a hedge to shelter my veggie patch from the wind. I am
thinking of using Hornbeam and growing it to about 6ft high. Does this
sound sensible? What other alternatives should I look at.

Beech is prettier most of the year, but less tough when establishing. Both
retain their leaves in winter. Plum family
is probably slightly faster- you can have a culinary type plum
of various sorts and that way you get a crop off the hedge, too.
You could also have fan or cordon type currants or gooseberries
which will be less effective at sheltering your veggies, but would
give them some cover and would also give you fruit.

Finally, where's the cheapest place to obtain hornbeam? Is it worth looking
at cuttings? How long would they take to get to 6ft from cuttings?

Forestry suppliers will sell you bare-root hornbeam at less than
a quid each in the autumn. I wouldn't bother with cuttings. I'd guess 3-4
years to get to 6ft, but that's 6ft saplings- a 6ft filled-out hedge is
probably another couple of years.

--
Anton

Old 02-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Mark Allison

On 01 Jul 2003, "anton" wrote the
following pearl of wisdom:

Forestry suppliers will sell you bare-root hornbeam at less than
a quid each in the autumn. I wouldn't bother with cuttings. I'd
guess 3-4 years to get to 6ft, but that's 6ft saplings- a 6ft
filled-out hedge is probably another couple of years.

--
Anton

Thanks - is it best to wait until Autumn to plant them then? I am planting
them at the boundary of my garden - on the other side (south-east facing)
is a large field which lets wind get up to speed.

Old 03-07-2003, 05:44 PM
anton

Mark Allison wrote in message ...
On 01 Jul 2003, "anton" wrote the
following pearl of wisdom:

Forestry suppliers will sell you bare-root hornbeam at less than
a quid each in the autumn. I wouldn't bother with cuttings. I'd
guess 3-4 years to get to 6ft, but that's 6ft saplings- a 6ft
filled-out hedge is probably another couple of years.

Thanks - is it best to wait until Autumn to plant them then? I am planting
them at the boundary of my garden - on the other side (south-east facing)
is a large field which lets wind get up to speed.

Yes- bare root planting is cheap and reliable, so I'd suggest
waiting until autumn.

--
Anton
www.btinternet.com/~treesandfruit/

Old 04-07-2003, 01:20 AM
Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson

The message
from Mark Allison contains these words:

Hi gardeners!

I want to make a hedge to shelter my veggie patch from the wind. I am
thinking of using Hornbeam and growing it to about 6ft high. Does this
sound sensible? What other alternatives should I look at.

Finally, where's the cheapest place to obtain hornbeam? Is it worth looking
at cuttings? How long would they take to get to 6ft from cuttings?

If you want mail order, try Buckingham's which sell 1.5 - 2 foot
hornbeam for 47p each (cheaper in quantity) .

www.hedging.co.uk

Janet G

Beech or Hornbeam for hedging - is there much difference? Plus, holly hedging opinions please! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 3 24-08-2004 06:32 PM
[IBC] hornbeam Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 8 01-03-2004 07:35 PM
[IBC] american or korean hornbeam Jim Lewis Bonsai 15 21-01-2004 12:33 AM
[IBC] American Hornbeam---thread graft Sam Williams Bonsai 1 04-07-2003 09:44 PM
[IBC] early hornbeam Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 2 12-04-2003 07:56 PM