GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dahlia ID please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/35221-dahlia-id-please.html)

Sacha 02-07-2003 07:32 AM

Dahlia ID please

A friend of ours has a gorgeous dahlia in his garden we'd like to identify.
He has no idea where he got it or what it is. It's of the type called (I
think) 'ornamental'. It's about 2.5 feet tall and the flower is a very deep
rich pink - not at all fluorescent but very, very vivid and the foliage is
the sort of bronze of 'The Bishop'. Anyone got a clue? I've asked David
Hill and even he doesn't know this one!
This friend has a seaside garden that is literally on the edge of a cliff
and is the most fabulously located garden I know. He planted this Dahlia
with some bright pink surfinias and pelargoniums with a golden hop as a
background. They're all in pots between pillars on a curving, paved walk
with the sea below - I've never seen anything so WOW and in your face - or
not in England, anyway!
--

Sacha

Sacha 02-07-2003 12:44 PM

Dahlia ID please

in article , Sacha at
wrote on 2/7/03 7:37 am:

A friend of ours has a gorgeous dahlia in his garden we'd like to identify.
He has no idea where he got it or what it is. It's of the type called (I
think) 'ornamental'. It's about 2.5 feet tall and the flower is a very deep
rich pink - not at all fluorescent but very, very vivid and the foliage is
the sort of bronze of 'The Bishop'. Anyone got a clue? I've asked David
Hill and even he doesn't know this one!
This friend has a seaside garden that is literally on the edge of a cliff
and is the most fabulously located garden I know. He planted this Dahlia
with some bright pink surfinias and pelargoniums with a golden hop as a
background. They're all in pots between pillars on a curving, paved walk
with the sea below - I've never seen anything so WOW and in your face - or
not in England, anyway!

Just to correct myself, I think the Dahlia type is waterlily.
--

Sacha

Roscoe 02-07-2003 01:33 PM

Dahlia ID please

Check out the paeony-flowered bedder Dahlia 'Fascination'. It's on the RHS
1969 Register and has an Award of Garden Merit. Winchester Gardens Ltd. of
Penzance and Bosvigo Plants of Truro, Cornwall have it.

Roscoe
----------------

David Hill 02-07-2003 03:32 PM

Dahlia ID please

Yes, ... but Fascination is Purple and not Cerise/pink, and the flower Sacha
has is a Waterlily, see pic on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Sacha 02-07-2003 06:08 PM

Dahlia ID please

in article , David Hill at
wrote on 2/7/03 3:30 pm:

Yes, ... but Fascination is Purple and not Cerise/pink, and the flower Sacha
has is a Waterlily, see pic on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Thanks so much for doing that, David. I've replied to that group re the
size query on there.
--

Sacha

Roscoe 02-07-2003 06:44 PM

Dahlia ID please

Not quite true, 'Fascination' can have purple *and* cerise/pink flowers. I
know my dahlias!
Roscoe
----------------

Sacha 02-07-2003 11:57 PM

Dahlia ID please

in article , Roscoe at
wrote on 2/7/03 6:47 pm:

Not quite true, 'Fascination' can have purple *and* cerise/pink flowers. I
know my dahlias!
Roscoe

snip

I've found D. Fascination on a Google image and this most certainly is not
the flower I'm trying to find. The colour is much, much more deep pink. In
the middle where the petals are young, it's almost a purply pink. The rest
of the flower is a vibrant pink which has a certain amount of black in it -
not at all a bluey pink. Unhappily, the photograph I sent to David bleached
out some of the colour with the flash.
--

Sacha

David Hill 02-07-2003 11:57 PM

Dahlia ID please

Not quite true, 'Fascination' can have purple *and* cerise/pink flowers. I
know my dahlias!
Roscoe

I bow to your superior knowledge

By the way have you looked at the picture on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
?

Much more of a Water Lily than a Peony.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Roscoe 03-07-2003 10:09 AM

Dahlia ID please

"David Hill" wrote in a message:

By the way have you looked at the picture on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
? Much more of a Water Lily than a Peony.
--

Thanks for pointing me to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. I have had a look
and agree that the pictured dahlia is not 'Fascination'. I am intrigued with

Roscoe

David Hill 03-07-2003 11:20 PM

Dahlia ID please

For dark Foliaged dahlias I would also go for Moonfire or Haresbrook, but
the one I think is best,( to me much better than Bishop of Llandaff) is
Tally Ho, much easier to grow.
But there again Grenadier is worth considering.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Sacha 04-07-2003 03:21 PM

Dahlia ID please

in article , Roscoe at
wrote on 3/7/03 10:10 am:

"David Hill" wrote in a message:

By the way have you looked at the picture on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
? Much more of a Water Lily than a Peony.
--

Thanks for pointing me to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens. I have had a look
and agree that the pictured dahlia is not 'Fascination'. I am intrigued with
the dark foliage reported by Sacha, not too many of them, but one of the
best must be 'David Howard' with its in-your-face two shaded orange petals.
Viewed against its dark foliage it really is a must have for any dahlia
enthusiast.

Roscoe

I *think* It's D. Engelhardt's Matador and I found it on this site - the
only place I have found a pic of it:
http://www.jrg-dahlias.co.uk/dark_leaf.htm
--

Sacha

helen bair 18-07-2003 05:08 PM

if any one would like to talk dahlas i,me here helen