Old 02-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Steve Harris

Default Managing the Broad Bean harvest

I have picked most of the broad beans in one parch early - no black
scars on any of them. I'm an impatient sort of chap. Many of the plants
are now just standing there with leaves slightly yellowing. After a
couple of weeks there's no sign of more flowers and beans. Are they
really finished?

Actually, I cut down some plants and the stumps have sprouted new growth
and flowers even. They're only about 4" tall. Will they grow and give me
a good second crop?

Or should I accept that this patch of Broad Beans is over cut them down
and bang in some lettuce?

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2003, 01:22 PM
The Devil's Advocate

I have only once had a decent second crop so I think it's best to take them
out. If you cut them off with shears it leaves the roots in the ground to
release the nitrogen nodules into the soil. I have put purple sprouting and
January King cabbages where my first lot were. Leeks could also go there as
they would enjoy the nitrogen

Robert
The Devil's Advocate

www.pafc.co.uk

:
: Actually, I cut down some plants and the stumps have sprouted new growth
: and flowers even. They're only about 4" tall. Will they grow and give me
: a good second crop?
:
: Or should I accept that this patch of Broad Beans is over cut them down
: and bang in some lettuce?
:
: Thanks!
:
: Steve Harris - Cheltenham - Real address steve AT netservs DOT com

Old 02-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Andrew

I have only once had a decent second crop so I think it's best to take them
out. If you cut them off with shears it leaves the roots in the ground to
release the nitrogen nodules into the soil. I have put purple sprouting and
January King cabbages where my first lot were. Leeks could also go there as
they would enjoy the nitrogen

Interesting. How long should I leave my broad bean nitrogen fixers to do
their thing? If I transplanted my leeks between the rows of broad bean
stumps do you think the stumps would cause much disruption when I
finally came to pull them up?
Old 02-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Steve
Harris writes
I have picked most of the broad beans in one parch early - no black
scars on any of them. I'm an impatient sort of chap. Many of the plants
are now just standing there with leaves slightly yellowing. After a
couple of weeks there's no sign of more flowers and beans. Are they
really finished?

Yes. Sometimes you get further flowers, and I've tried leaving the
plants, but the second crop never amounts to anything, and I've never
found it to be worth it. A whole are of garden tied up for perhaps one
pod.

Actually, I cut down some plants and the stumps have sprouted new growth
and flowers even. They're only about 4" tall. Will they grow and give me
a good second crop?

Or should I accept that this patch of Broad Beans is over cut them down
and bang in some lettuce?

Yes.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 02-07-2003, 06:32 PM
The Devil's Advocate

I cut them down low and then walk on them and they usually break off fairly
well down. The roots and bits left don't get in the way then

Old 03-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Andrew

In article ,
"The Devil's Advocate" wrote:

I cut them down low and then walk on them and they usually break off fairly
well down. The roots and bits left don't get in the way then

Thanks. I'll give that a go, once the current bumper harvest is over.
Stir-fried broad beans last night. Lovely!