Old 03-07-2003, 11:44 AM
Ric

Default advice for twitch infested lawn

My lawn is badly infested with unsightly twitch. Last autumn I sprayed the
worst of it with Roundup, but this seems to have had little effect and it
has grown back in the same places it was in last year. Regular mowing, loads
of water and and a good dose of fertilizer/deweeder in the spring don't seem
to have affected it much this year either.

What should I do? I don't really want to seriously attack it with Roundup
and relay, not least because the experiment with Roundup last year did not
make much difference. Should I just persevere for a few years with lots of
mowing/water/fertilizer in the hope that the real grass eventually drowns it
out?

Old 03-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Bent Councillor

"Ric" wrote in message
My lawn is badly infested with unsightly twitch. Last autumn I sprayed the
worst of it with Roundup, but this seems to have had little effect and it
has grown back in the same places it was in last year. Regular mowing,

loads
of water and and a good dose of fertilizer/deweeder in the spring don't

seem
to have affected it much this year either.

What should I do? I don't really want to seriously attack it with Roundup
and relay, not least because the experiment with Roundup last year did not
make much difference. Should I just persevere for a few years with lots of
mowing/water/fertilizer in the hope that the real grass eventually drowns

it
out?

Sounds like you need a good forest fire.

Old 03-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Ric

"Bent Councillor" wrote in message
Sounds like you need a good forest fire.

There's lots of those near me and I notice that twitch is usually the first
new coloniser of a burnt patch...

Old 03-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Ric

"bnd777" wrote in message
Just pinch Mikes Manure why dont you !!!!!!!

I wish I could....

Old 06-07-2003, 12:44 AM
Scott L. Hadley

If you would be so kind, what is twitch? I finally have to ask,
following many years occasional encounters with this (apparently
British) word. If it is one of the perennial, creeping, invasive
grasses such as our witch grass, if is definitely a problem, but not
beyond reach. The close mowing done in much of Britain should help,
but I dasn't venture further till I know what twitch is!

Scott Hadley
Maine, US

Old 06-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Scott L. Hadley
writes
If you would be so kind, what is twitch? I finally have to ask,
following many years occasional encounters with this (apparently
British) word. If it is one of the perennial, creeping, invasive
grasses such as our witch grass, if is definitely a problem, but not
beyond reach. The close mowing done in much of Britain should help,
but I dasn't venture further till I know what twitch is!

Strictly, couch grass, Agropyron repens, but used by gardeners to mean
more or less any invasive creeping grass.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 06-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Scott L. Hadley wrote:
If you would be so kind, what is twitch? I finally have to ask,
following many years occasional encounters with this (apparently
British) word. If it is one of the perennial, creeping, invasive
grasses such as our witch grass, if is definitely a problem, but not
beyond reach. The close mowing done in much of Britain should help,
but I dasn't venture further till I know what twitch is!

Couch grass, Agropyron repens.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.