GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Deadheading Clematis (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/35340-deadheading-clematis.html)

mfs1011 03-07-2003 04:44 PM

Deadheading Clematis

Please will someone help a beginner?

We've a Clematis planted last year which has flowered and is going
over. Should I deadhead it? I'd like to encourage growth, and for the
moment the plant is stagnating.

Thanks for any advice given.

Charlie Pridham 04-07-2003 08:45 AM

Deadheading Clematis

"mfs1011" wrote in message
m...
Please will someone help a beginner?

We've a Clematis planted last year which has flowered and is going
over. Should I deadhead it? I'd like to encourage growth, and for the
moment the plant is stagnating.

Thanks for any advice given.

If you deadhead the flowered stems back, give the plant a heavy watering
(and yes I do know its been raining!) feed it, and it will be back in growth
soon and hopefully flowering by August. Left to its own devices it will
still flower a second time but it will be later and the plant can end up
rather a mess.
HTH
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.