GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Giant Hogweed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/35556-giant-hogweed.html)

Janice 05-07-2003 08:20 PM

Giant Hogweed

Does anyone know if giant hogweed is a controlled plant? I've noticed tons
of it growing alongside a stream here in Bolton, easily accessible to
everyone, and I wondered if I should advise the town council ASAP.

Nick Maclaren 05-07-2003 08:56 PM

Giant Hogweed

In article ,
Janice wrote:
Does anyone know if giant hogweed is a controlled plant? I've noticed tons
of it growing alongside a stream here in Bolton, easily accessible to
everyone, and I wondered if I should advise the town council ASAP.

Well, you could, but it has been a widespread plant for many decades,
and caused little problem until the gutter press decided to build it
up into a Killer Weed. Yes, some people react to it badly, and most
people react to it, but it isn't generally a problem.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

iain 05-07-2003 11:20 PM

Giant Hogweed

Janice wrote:

Does anyone know if giant hogweed is a controlled plant? I've noticed
tons of it growing alongside a stream here in Bolton, easily accessible to
everyone, and I wondered if I should advise the town council ASAP.

Where in Bolton? I live there and wouldn't mind a look

Janet Baraclough 06-07-2003 12:56 AM

Giant Hogweed

The message

In article ,
Janice wrote:
Does anyone know if giant hogweed is a controlled plant? I've noticed tons
of it growing alongside a stream here in Bolton, easily accessible to
everyone, and I wondered if I should advise the town council ASAP.

Well, you could, but it has been a widespread plant for many decades,
and caused little problem until the gutter press decided to build it
up into a Killer Weed. Yes, some people react to it badly, and most
people react to it, but it isn't generally a problem.

It's controlled in the sense that deliberately sowing it is an
offence, and many councils do try hard to eradicate it from areas where
the public has frequent access.

Janet.

Janice 06-07-2003 02:08 AM

Giant Hogweed

Hi, Iain. I noticed the hogweed next to the stream (Eagley Brook) that runs
alongside the Valley Leisure area in Astley Bridge. Valley Leisure area is
where there's a cinema, Atlantis nightclub, restaurants, etc., just off
Waters Meeting Road.

I'm assuming the plant is hogweed -- it looks like a giant cowparsley, about
8-10 feet tall, huge leaves like a gunnera. There's loads of it,
beautifully in flower, all along the stream in various places. Let me know
if it's not hogweed!

Regards,