GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   plant identity (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/35669-plant-identity.html)

redstar 06-07-2003 06:45 PM

plant identity

can anyone point me in the direction of a good plant/flower identification
guide?

my partner recently received a "cocktail bouquet" from www.tesco.com and
we`ve no idea what one of the flowers is

it`s a vivid red colour and from the side fans out to about a 4 inch radius
, but from the top is only about an inch across and looks like a cartoon
clam/oyster mouth

don`t ask me any complicated questions as i`m an absolute amateur !

i put the url in in case people want to see it (rather than post a pic)

thanks in advance :-)

redstar 07-07-2003 02:17 AM

plant identity

"Michael Berridge" wrote in message

redstar wrote in message ...
can anyone point me in the direction of a good plant/flower

identification
guide?

my partner recently received a "cocktail bouquet" from www.tesco.com

and
we`ve no idea what one of the flowers is

Some of the flowers in the Tesco bouquets are artificially coloured,
I've seen some where the stem, when cut was red throughout, and an
obvious artificial red as well. So even though you may find out the name
of the plant, there is quite a possibility that you could not find it to
grow yourself.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

lol :-)

we think it`s a celosia cristata :-)

crazy plant !

:-)

David Hill 07-07-2003 02:18 AM

plant identity

I'll go with Celosia cristata

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

redstar 07-07-2003 02:47 AM

plant identity

thanks :-)

it is :-)

"house plant expert" book put in the right directon :-)

interesting plant ?

Mike W 07-07-2003 02:47 AM

plant identity

Its a Celosia cristata var. coxcomb
Not too difficult to grow as a half hardy annual. They come in red and
yellow shades