Old 08-07-2003, 01:32 PM
David Poulet

Default soil preparation + cultivators

We're in the final stages of clearing the concrete/weedbed/rubble area
which the previous owners called a garden. We now have an uneven area
of soil which is packed fairly hard in places, and quite stony in
others, and we'd like to prepare it for some turf (I've been told that
its probably the wrong time of year to lay turf, but I'm under a
deadline so to speak). The total area is not that large, about 60 sq
metres.

Anyway, I was consisering hiring a mechanical beast to help break up
the soil so that it can be evened out and rocks removed etc. The local
hire shop has a cultivator AND a rotovator. Apparently one is a sort
of push-along affair and the other is driven.

Can anyone shed any light on the suitability of either of these?

Thanks.

David

BTW If you hadnt already realised, I know nothing about gardening
except that it's hard work!

--
David Poulet
Old 08-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Tim

On 8 Jul 2003 04:22:45 -0700, David Poulet
wrote:

[...]

If I understand oyu right... the 'push along' type has (apart from the
claws) a little wheel, or even just a spike at either the front or back ?
The "driven" one has 2 sets of larger wheels near the back, and maybe an
extra chopper/tiller?

The former one will pull itself along through the earth with the rotary
claws, so you don't have to push it. From my limitied experience it'll be
perfectly ok for 60sq.m. The bigger on is a bit of overkill. Either way
it's quite hard work. The thing to do is NOT do it in the rain or with wet
soil - it'll turn to mud and you really won't get anywhere.

Getting a really fine crumb on the surface would probably be easier withteh
bigger machine if it has the extra choppers fitted (some don't) otherwise
I'd go for the smaller one anyway.

Tim.

Old 09-07-2003, 12:44 PM
David Poulet

Well, thanks for the advice. I've gone ahead booked the smaller
cultivator (half the price of the rotovator!), so lets hope the
weather holds for the weekend.

David