Old 08-07-2003, 11:36 PM
Drakanthus

Default Finding a property with a Big Garden

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if there any properties out there
for sale with big gardens that don't cost a fortune i.e. less than 120k? We
don't care about the type or state of the property - even a semi derelict
will suffice.

By the standards of most modern properties we have a large garden, but it
has been bursting at the seams for some time, so we have now put our
property on the market simply to find a property with a bigger garden -
ideally 1/4 acre upwards. Nightmare trying to find anywhere though.
We want to move to anywhere within 30 miles of either the South coast of
England or Cornwall, Devon or South Wales, but none of the online property
web sites have a search criterion for "Big Garden". Trying to find the email
addresses of estate agents in all these areas is proving tricky - it seems
the larger the estate agent the less easy they are to contact by email - and
I am reluctant to phone over 300 estate agents!

Short of having our brains lobotomised to remove our passion for gardening,
I am open to any advice or suggestions - anyone?

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old 08-07-2003, 11:37 PM
Jo Ling

Drakanthus wrote in message
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if there any properties out there
for sale with big gardens that don't cost a fortune i.e. less than 120k?

We
don't care about the type or state of the property - even a semi derelict
will suffice.

Um ... Mid Lothian? Outer Hebrides? Abergrynfynwy?

Seriously, though, I think you'll be stretching it a bit, especially if
you're looking at the south coast of England. And "large garden" in estate
agents' speak translates to "kitchen window must be more than 3ft from back
fence", so you won't get much luck there. Dunno what to suggest, really -
perhaps just specify your spending limit to estate agents (I mean, they
barely understand that, on the whole) and be prepared for a lot of
"filtering" of the results!

Good luck!

Jo

Old 08-07-2003, 11:37 PM
anne

Lincolnshire is your best bet - lots of houses in the middle of fields etc,
but even house prices there are getting ridiculous.

Old 08-07-2003, 11:37 PM
bnd777

I am afraid that unless you look in Kent maybe I doubt you will find
anything with a large garden in your price range
John Prescotts latest increase in density allowed has nearly every large
garden being allowed permision for 6 houses or 26 flats in our neck of the
South

Old 08-07-2003, 11:37 PM
Jim W

Drakanthus wrote:

[...]

Rubbish I'm afraid!-)_
.... Plenty of the sites have search specs for land and 'big garden or
smallholding.. Try www.propertyfinder.co.uk and similar listed in the
Google directory..

Depends what you call BIG as well!-)

Also have you tried online editions of local newspapers etc.. Ususally
you can subscribe to some of these (either the website or the paper
edition)

There are several others which i don't remember off the top of my head..
Possibly you are not searching for the correct terms....

A quick search on google revealed the following
http://www.ruralindex.net/property.html

http://www.nitro-shopping.co.uk/Home...l%20properties
%20sale%20in%20cornwall.html

http://www.ruralscene.co.uk/

http://www.google.com/search?client=...nts%20Cornwall
%20UK

http://www.bellingram.co.uk/

http://www.farminguk.co.uk/auctioneers.htm

etc etc

//
Jim

Old 08-07-2003, 11:37 PM
Kay Easton

In article ,
Drakanthus writes
[...]

When Janet T was trying a similar search, the estate agent said 'Ah -
you mean *land*' ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 08-07-2003, 11:37 PM
Drakanthus

... Plenty of the sites have search specs for land and 'big garden or
smallholding.. Try www.propertyfinder.co.uk and similar listed in the
Google directory..

I just tried that one. With search criteria of up to £150k and Cornwall it
says no properties are available - and suggests I WIDEN the search criteria!
Same for Devon too. Somehow I don't believe the results!
I probably need to NARROW the search results and do individual searches for
each individual town along the coast. Frustrating.
I tried a site earlier today that with numerous searches gave email
addresses of estate agents all round the coast. The emails all go via the
web site who must be acting as a partner. It took me hours. They have all
bounced as undeliverable - a complete waste of an afternoon.

I registered with the Rightmove web site and now can't logon due to a
technical fault at their end.

Some other web sites act as partners for several estate agents and don't
display a top navigation bar. Fine until you find yourself viewing the
details of a property and they haven't put a "Back" button on the form and
you need to close down the window and start the entire search process from
scratch again.

One thing I have learnt from this exercise - some web sites are much easier
to use and navigate than others. Some insist on taking you up the garden
path (wish they did literally) and have cluttered screens with too much to
read to get to where you want.

I'm sure the right property exists somewhere out there with a vendor keen to
sell and us keen to buy. Putting the two together is the tricky bit.

Moan over. I feel better now. It has been a frustrating day searching.
Hopefully better luck tomorrow.
I have already tried some of your other suggestions with no luck, but will
try the rest tomorrow.

Drakanthus.

---

Old 08-07-2003, 11:37 PM

:
[...]
: --
: Drakanthus.
:
:
: (Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
: will never reach me.)
:
:
:
:
: ---
: Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).
:
I would have thought you were looking in the wrong areas for something at
that price, but having said that I have a friend who lives in a council
house in SW London and she has a large garden because her house happens to
be in the corner of a cul de sac.

If all else fails have you thought of having an allotment, or finding
somewhere closeby where the owners don't want to garden and you could do and
enjoy theirs as well, or starting a community gardening project?

Old 08-07-2003, 11:37 PM
Roy Forster

You don't fancy moving abroad do you. Better climate for gardening and all
that. Lots of French property around, even with the Euro appreciating, which
is cheap by UK comparisons. I've seen lots of property with an acre or more
at very tempting prices.

Roy