GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cabbage white hatch time? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/36015-cabbage-white-hatch-time.html)

Steve Harris 09-07-2003 03:32 PM

Cabbage white hatch time?

I often see cabbage whites messing with my cabbages :-( And, I find and
remove the eggs. How long does it take for a new laid egg to turn into a
brassica munching caterpillar?

Would a thorough weekly inspection by enough?

squodgy 01-05-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Harris (Post 238003)
I often see cabbage whites messing with my cabbages :-( And, I find and
remove the eggs. How long does it take for a new laid egg to turn into a
brassica munching caterpillar?

Would a thorough weekly inspection by enough?

Checking out the net, points to 5-7 days. I've been watching them on mine & so far am up to day 3 with no caterpillars yet.

squodgy 02-05-2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squodgy (Post 919622)
Checking out the net, points to 5-7 days. I've been watching them on mine & so far am up to day 3 with no caterpillars yet.

Day four....still nothing, but noticed clusters of bright orange eggs on underside of Spring Cabbage, so decided to rub them all off, together with the individual white ones deposited by the Cabbage Whites...hope I got them all...don't want to revert to chemicals.