GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Advice Wtd Laying Flags (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/36038-advice-wtd-laying-flags.html)

Skint4sure 09-07-2003 08:49 PM

Advice Wtd Laying Flags

Hi everyone,

I want to lay about 10 flags in my back garden next to a big area of flags that
are already there.
What materials will I need and do I use stones as a foundation then sand then
put the flags onto them.
If so how much will I need of each etc.
Flags are 2 x 2 and about 1½ inches thick.

Many thanks

Nick Maclaren 09-07-2003 09:22 PM

Advice Wtd Laying Flags

In article ,
Skint4sure wrote:

I want to lay about 10 flags in my back garden next to a big area of flags that
are already there.
What materials will I need and do I use stones as a foundation then sand then
put the flags onto them.
If so how much will I need of each etc.
Flags are 2 x 2 and about 1½ inches thick.

It depends on your soil, what use you are going to make of the area
and so on.

On soil that is gravel or sand, all you need to do is compact it;
a foundation is unnecessary. On clay, some is desirable; on peat, it
is essential. 4" is usually plenty, except on peat. See Cormaic's
Web pages.

This does NOT apply to areas where cars will be driven and so on.
You need a better foundation for them.

The sand layer is primarily to make it easier to level the flags
without breaking them. Unless you are experienced, I strongly
recommend using 1-2" of SHARP sand.

In my garden (60% sand, so no foundation needed), I would buy 1/2
cubic metre of sharp sand for that job.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.