GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pruning Plum Trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/36133-pruning-plum-trees.html)

Neil Cooper 10-07-2003 04:40 PM

Pruning Plum Trees

I have 4 old plum trees. Can I prune them now? I never know when is the
right time so any advice would be appreciated. I live in Cumbria.

Thanks Neil

David W.E. Roberts 10-07-2003 06:25 PM

Pruning Plum Trees

"Neil Cooper" wrote in message
I have 4 old plum trees. Can I prune them now? I never know when is the
right time so any advice would be appreciated. I live in Cumbria.

Thanks Neil

Try http://tinyurl.com/gjrd

Slightly different from what I thought - but generally you prune in the
growing season to allow cuts to heal properly, so now is a good time,
although you will sacrifice some fruit.

Given that plum trees break their branches anyway I sometimes think that all
this concern about the right time to prune is wasted when the leaves drop
and you see loads of broken small branches.

Cheers
Dave R

Anne Wheeldon 10-07-2003 06:25 PM

Pruning Plum Trees

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Neil Cooper" wrote in message
I have 4 old plum trees. Can I prune them now? I never know when is the
right time so any advice would be appreciated. I live in Cumbria.

Thanks Neil

Try http://tinyurl.com/gjrd
Dave R

I've just pruned mine. The branches with fruit I just cut back enough to
expose the fruit to the sun. Non-fruiting branches I attack ferociously!!
Apparently if you prune in autumn/winter they are susceptible to silver
virus which enters through the pruning cuts. I daub all major cuts with
Arbrex.
Anne

NMc 11-07-2003 09:04 AM

Pruning Plum Trees

In SW France (arguably the plum/prune capital of the world) they prune in
February, when it's v.cold and wet. P'raps it doesn't really matter.

Neil

anton 12-07-2003 06:44 AM

Pruning Plum Trees

NMc wrote in message ...
In SW France (arguably the plum/prune capital of the world) they prune in
February, when it's v.cold and wet. P'raps it doesn't really matter.

Pruning is one aspect of growing fruit that does not translate
very well to different climates. Silver-leaf disease is a known
risk in the UK, and kills plum trees. The experts say that the
risk of silver leaf is best avoided by pruning when the leaves are
on, and though recommendations differ slightly, they all suggest
times in the first half of the growing season.

Yes, it does really matter.

--
Anton