Old 10-07-2003, 06:32 PM
John Mortlock

Default Hand SCYTHE wher to buy

Does anyone know where to buy a hand scythe at a reasonable price ?

Large garden centres have them but at silly prices.

Thanks

Old 10-07-2003, 06:32 PM
amanda pope

Try your local agricultural merchant. We farmers hate to pay high prices for
anything

www.arghamvillage.co.uk

Old 11-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Paul
D.Smith writes
Just beware of "+ VAT", which would add almost a fifth to the price!

Almost exactly a sixth, which as useful rule of thumb for working it out
in your head

(6 x 17.5 = 105)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 11-07-2003, 11:37 PM
VeraSquire

I don't know if this will be much help John but I saw one advertised in
the Sunday People

last week for about £11. Which I thought was good value. Unfortunately I
forgot to cut it out

but it will probably appear again soon..

HTH

Vera

Old 12-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Ken Saunders

"VeraSquire" wrote in message ...
I don't know if this will be much help John but I saw one advertised in
the Sunday People

last week for about £11. Which I thought was good value. Unfortunately I
forgot to cut it out

but it will probably appear again soon..

HTH

Vera

John....Try a BOOT SALE. That is where all my equipment is going
at the end of the season...Regards Ken
Old 13-07-2003, 11:42 PM
hugo agogo

"John Mortlock" wrote in message ...
Does anyone know where to buy a hand scythe at a reasonable price ?

Large garden centres have them but at silly prices.

Thanks

By 'hand scythe', so you mean 'scythe' or 'sickle'? I have seen both
advertised on Ebay in the past.

I recently purchased an item called a Garden Scyther which I saw
advertised in the Telegraph and AG, I think, for about £15 including
postage. Unless you are after a proper scythe, and if you need it
only for the occasional use, you might well find it suitable. It is
basically a long knife (33ins long), like a parang or panga, and the
thin blade is sharp(ish) on both edges and curved upwards at the end.
If you can get a good swinging motion going - a bit like a slice at
golf, but backwards as well as forwards - you can clear long grass,
nettles, etc without too much difficulty, although it is definitely
not as effective as a traditional scythe.
Old 19-10-2004, 12:23 PM
Registered User

I've just picked up on the July discussion about garden scythes. The "Garden Scyther" referred to below is advertised on Saturdays in The Times (£11.95 for one or ££9.95 each for two, +P&P).

I'm wondering whether anyone else, in addition to the one report (below) has
bought one and what he or she thinks of it - effectiveness, durability etc.

Other than that, I remember Chris Beardshaw on 'Gardeners' World' a few weeks ago using a scythe of similar size handle/action to a golf club. Can anyone tell me more about it?
Thanks

Old 19-10-2004, 09:24 PM
JeffC

I bought one from my local garden centre it was some years ago but aI think
it was less than £10
It was very sharp, so I sharpened it myself and kept it honed from time to
time will I was working
Once you get used to them they are very good but you soon work up a sweat!
The back swing can be used to lift grasses that have been flattened.
Its probably good swing practise if your a golfer

I used mine to clear a small section of a field that my garden adjoins to
( the local council used to cut the field twice a year until it "forgot" the
field was there when they tendered the work out to a private company who now
charge £2000 to cut 3 acres of grass! needless to say the grass is rather
long now! )

I've got lazy now and use a petrol strimmer

Jeff.
(remove the troll to reply)

Always look on the bright side of life (De do, de do, de doody doody do)

DavidH wrote,

I've just picked up on the July discussion about garden scythes. The
"Garden Scyther" referred to below is advertised on Saturdays in The
Times (£11.95 for one or ££9.95 each for two, +P&P).

I'm wondering whether anyone else, in addition to the one report
(below) has
bought one and what he or she thinks of it - effectiveness, durability
etc.

Other than that, I remember Chris Beardshaw on 'Gardeners' World' a few
weeks ago using a scythe of similar size handle/action to a golf club.
Can anyone tell me more about it?
Thanks

hugo agogo Wrote:[color=blue]