Old 11-07-2003, 01:44 PM
David Hickman

Default Blanket Weed (long post)

Hi I'm back

the first product I used was blanc-excel (you must use the excel version,
the other
type will kill your plants!!!)
a powder which you simply sprinkle across the surface of the pond, this
seemed to work very well.
the second product I tried (simply because my local shop had sold out of the
other stuff)
was by Interpet (sorry forgotten the exact name again....) again this was a
powder you had
to mix up in a bucket of warm water and then use a watering can to cover the
water surface. I think,
on balance that the first product was slightly better of the two. the second
product left a
horrible scum on the surface for a day or two.
I don't think that either of these products are weedkillers as such, I think
they simply
mop up excess minerals?? that the blanket weed thrives on, and even though
the other
plants need the minerals in the water the blanket weed is affected first
(and worst) because of the
very much larger surface area. you are supposed to treat the water quite
regularly (according to the
instructions) but I didn't slavishely follow the instructions, but the weed
when it returned (and it
will !!!) I noticed was much coarser and ironically easier to clear out by
hand........
I have a barley straw bale, which doesn't seem to restrict blanket weed at
all but I certainly very
clear water (whether that is the straw or not I am not sure, I daren't take
it out just in case)
I have read a little more on straw recently, and I think I may be using too
large a bale and
possibly in the wrong place, I read that a smaller bale (I use a largish
bale from a pet shop)
placed in running water will be much more effective
any thoughts anyone??

hope some of this ramble helps

Dave H

"Arthur" wrote in message
Thank you David, I would be very pleased to hear which products you used.
I wonder why you tried two and if they gave different results?

- Arthur

"David Hickman" wrote in message
After 15 years with no problems, our small pond has suddenly become

heavily
infested with blanket weed. We pull out armfulls but it grows back

in
few days. I've seen remedies advertised but I would first like to

hear
from someone who has tried them. We have lots of wildlife and I don't

want
to harm anything. Apart from the blanket weed the water is clear and
healthy.

- Arthur

Arthur
I have used two products which claim to get rid of blanket weed
both of which seem to work very well. we have an 800 gallon pond with
a 8 yard stream and both can get very clogged with blanket weed.
you have to get as much out as you can by hand before you treat the pond
or it will all die and rot in the water.
we have lots of wildlife and plants, and none seem to be harmed by the
treatment.

I am work now and can't remember the name of the products. I will be in
contact again
when I find out

Dave H

Old 11-07-2003, 03:44 PM
Pickle

"David Hickman" wrote in message
After 15 years with no problems, our small pond has suddenly become
heavily
infested with blanket weed. We pull out armfulls but it grows back

in
few days. I've seen remedies advertised but I would first like to

hear
from someone who has tried them. We have lots of wildlife and I

don't
want
to harm anything. Apart from the blanket weed the water is clear

and
healthy.

I've tried something called Ecotreat Clarity, it's supposed to have
beneficial bacteria and be harmless to wildlife. It seems to have some
effect but you need to pull out as much as possible before you put it in.
I got it from Chase Organics (online)

Old 11-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Arthur

Thank you David, and everyone else for your posts. That's very helpful.
There do seem to be quite a lot of possible treatments, and I know now what
to look out for.

Thank you again.

- Arthur

Old 11-07-2003, 10:57 PM
Arthur

"Pickle" wrote in message
[...]

Is this blanket weed? Long Post Jane Ransom United Kingdom 4 10-04-2004 10:03 PM
Blanket weed David Williams Ponds (alternative) 8 30-06-2003 08:56 PM
Blanket weed stacey Ponds 2 30-06-2003 01:20 AM
Blanket weed as/is a veggie filter plant Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 2 27-04-2003 04:20 AM
Blanket weed on my baby water lilies eric United Kingdom 2 22-03-2003 08:32 PM