Old 11-07-2003, 03:44 PM
Michael Savage

Default Stihl FS45 - any thoughts?

Hi all

Sorry if this has been covered, couldn't find anything directly relevant on
Google.

Having just had to return a Black& Decker strimmer to Homebase 3 times after
the line spolled out too quickly and wrapped around the spindle (and I
couldn't get it out) I've given up on that idea and was going to spend a bit
more on a petrol job. Had my eye on Stihl FS45 at around £150, but is
another £50 on getting the next model up with straight shaft worth it?

Michael S with grass growing taller

Old 11-07-2003, 06:11 PM
amanda pope

I use strimmers on commercial work and Stihl is one of the best makes if
pricey. The straight shaft has less maintenance and will pay for itself. Get
the best you can afford.
The best value for money and my first choice for our contracting equipment
is Johnseerd. much cheaper -just as good.

Ps I use a brushcutter head rather than the strimmer head. costs about 20
more.

And please if you are moving up to the serious machines buy steel toe caped
foot where , ear defenders and full face visor.
There are more serious accidents with these things than anything else.

even the little B&D can cut you badly the bigger motors will have your foot
off.

Be careful.

www.arghamvillage.co.uk

Michael Savage wrote in
message .. .

Old 12-07-2003, 07:20 AM
AndWhyNot

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:43:09 +0100, "Michael Savage"
wrote:

Hi all

Sorry if this has been covered, couldn't find anything directly relevant on
Google.

Having just had to return a Black& Decker strimmer to Homebase 3 times after
the line spolled out too quickly and wrapped around the spindle (and I
couldn't get it out) I've given up on that idea and was going to spend a bit
more on a petrol job. Had my eye on Stihl FS45 at around £150, but is
another £50 on getting the next model up with straight shaft worth it?

Michael S with grass growing taller

I am watching this post carefully ........ I have a petrol strimmer
(McCulloch) about £130 at B & Q (then) but have the opposite in that
the feed line DOES NOT pay out, and it's a pain to stop ...take off
the head....pay out more line every 10 mins ...........

Also, in my opinion, line is really only good for grass ........ get
a tough thisle or nettle and it will struggle, whereas a bush cutter
will not.

Our local RSPB reserve has bought a top of the range Stihl (£500 +
mark) bush cutter that I will be (trying out) next week.

Also the Robin make (Fuji Mitzubishi) are supposed to be the bees
knees (good for knocking off bees knees)

Look at
http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/acatalog/...ERS_294. html
Old 12-07-2003, 08:20 PM
len brauer

g'day michael,

stihl are good machines, go for the straight shaft models they will
repay you in the long run.

len

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:43:09 +0100, "Michael Savage"
wrote:

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/

Old 13-07-2003, 04:34 PM
Alastair J. Smith

"Michael Savage" wrote in
message .. .
Having just had to return a Black& Decker strimmer to Homebase 3 times

after
the line spolled out too quickly and wrapped around the spindle (and I
couldn't get it out) I've given up on that idea and was going to spend a

bit
more on a petrol job. Had my eye on Stihl FS45 at around £150, but is
another £50 on getting the next model up with straight shaft worth it?

Stihl is a very good make, straight shaft is more reliable and longer
lasting. The other main reason for straight shaft is that it can take a
blade for the thicker stuff. I must disagree with one of the other postings,
Jonsered maybe cheaper but it is not in the same league as Stihl by a mile.
Husqvanna (out of the same stable as Partner-Jonsered) is the other
respected brand of brushcutters for comparison.

There are many other makes out there that are also very good and price
competitive, the two I have mentioned just happen to be the market leaders
in this equipment.

Old 13-07-2003, 11:14 PM
David Hill

I bought a Sthl strimmer last year, also got the hedge cutter attachment for
it as I have almost a mile of hedge to cut, some of which is now around 15ft
high, Great, cuts stems over 1inch easily, and those 1 1/2 a little slower.
A lot easier on my poor arthritic body than my petrol hedge cutter.
I got attachment for plastic blades for the strimmer as well, very good on
rougher cutting.
Great machine, do look at the attachments available.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 13-07-2003, 11:14 PM
len brauer

i have a jonsered that is still going a storm, stihl can be a little
over priced due to their reputation mainly, so by all means check
other brands you could save yourself a few bucks and still be getting
just as good a unit. i would buy jonsered again this one has been
great, 10 years old and still going strong after heaps of work. can't
see that paying more would have mad any difference.

there are some 4 stroke models around now they should be quieter and
less polluting, have a good look around.

len

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:43:09 +0100, "Michael Savage" snipped

Old 16-07-2003, 10:24 AM
Michael Savage

Thanks all...will get looking...

Michael S

Old 17-07-2003, 03:04 PM
Simon Avery

"amanda pope" wrote:

Hello amanda

ap I use strimmers on commercial work and Stihl is one of the
ap best makes if pricey. The straight shaft has less
ap maintenance and will pay for itself. Get the best you can
ap afford. The best value for money and my first choice for our
ap contracting equipment is Johnseerd. much cheaper -just as
ap good.

Not strictly true for either, sadly. Both (and Husqy, same
manufacturer as Jonsered) have made some complete turkeys in the lower
price sector. All make super quality machines, but all also make
useless rubbish at the cheaper end.

Unfortunately there are few manufacturers around that aren't willing
to ruin their good name by producing low quality goods. Eg, JCB.

Old 18-07-2003, 07:02 PM
len brauer

reckon i'll be sticking with my jonsered until it wears out, made the
decision not to buy stihl at the time based on price, my experiences
with this sort of equipment tell me that yes in the flexy shaft cheapy
range you get what you pay for not much at all. but in the straight
shaft upper end of the quality ranges there are times when paying more
doesn't mean you get more.

my jonsered hasn't failed me at any time in the ten years or so that i
have had it, all i do is pump a bit of grease into the gear box and
shout it a new plug about once a year, and i mix the fuel fresh as i
need it. this machine has a mitsubishi engine on it.

there's bound to be other brands out there that will do just as well
for the price.

len