Old 11-07-2003, 11:38 PM
John Hutchison

Default Friend or Foe? Strange Insect...

Hello All,

Hope you're enjoying the summer as much as I am. I'm in the middle of
laying a patio, so sitting catching up on the posts is a welcome break

Whilst laying the patio, I noticed some strange insects that I don't
remember seeing as a child, so I'm struggling to name them...

They are between 8-15mm long (about 1/4" to 1/2" in old money),
predominantly black, with what looks to my eye to be a segmented carapace.
The legs are placed markedly towards the head area. Down each edge of the
carapace, there are 3 reddish dots or squares, sometimes with a small black
band dividing them along the length of the beast.

Any ideas what they are, and should I start chucking them to the birds?

TIA,

John