Old 12-07-2003, 07:08 AM
AndWhyNot

Default Rhubarb Rhubarb

Hello,

Our friend and neighbour just loves rhubarb (as do we) but has none in
her garden .......... we have lots of the stuff, and promised her a
clump of our root for her garden.

When would be the best time to 'dig up and transfer' a clump ??

Thanks
Old 12-07-2003, 07:20 AM
Zizz

"AndWhyNot" wrote in message
s.com...
Hello,

Our friend and neighbour just loves rhubarb (as do we) but has none in
her garden .......... we have lots of the stuff, and promised her a
clump of our root for her garden.

When would be the best time to 'dig up and transfer' a clump ??

Thanks

Divide in early spring.

Old 12-07-2003, 12:08 PM
JennyC

"AndWhyNot" wrote in message
s.com...
Hello,

Our friend and neighbour just loves rhubarb (as do we) but has none

in
her garden .......... we have lots of the stuff, and promised her a
clump of our root for her garden.

When would be the best time to 'dig up and transfer' a clump ??

Thanks

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/
has EVERYTHING you could possibly want to know :~))
Jenny

Old 12-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Alan Gould

In article m,
AndWhyNot writes
Hello,

Our friend and neighbour just loves rhubarb (as do we) but has none in
her garden .......... we have lots of the stuff, and promised her a
clump of our root for her garden.

When would be the best time to 'dig up and transfer' a clump ??

Lift the whole root clump out in early winter as soon as the top of the
plant is dormant. Divide into four or five pieces with a spade. The
sections can be replanted then, or they can be left out to be frosted,
but they should be back in the ground by New Year's Day [by Dec. 21st.,
Winter Solstice traditionally] when the plant will begin growing again.

Leaving the roots out to catch some frost is said to increase sugar
levels, thus making future stems sweeter, but that is disputed and it is
optional. For early forcing rhubarb, take a piece of divided root and
pot it up, or plant it in greenhouse or polytunnel soil. As soon as
small shoots appear, cover the plant with a flower pot and it will
produce very early stems. Dispose of the forced root after cropping.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:20 PM
AndWhyNot

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 06:17:36 GMT, AndWhyNot
wrote:

Hello,

Our friend and neighbour just loves rhubarb (as do we) but has none in
her garden .......... we have lots of the stuff, and promised her a
clump of our root for her garden.

When would be the best time to 'dig up and transfer' a clump ??

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies ......... Fool anyone ??
with extra cream on top??? or just the crumble ............. yummy !!!

Good for the morning ablutions ....................

Old 13-07-2003, 11:44 AM
Drakanthus

When would be the best time to 'dig up and transfer' a clump ??

Though not by the "rules", I moved a clump several times in one year without
adverse affect. Unfortunately it was never in the right place. This year I
put it into a large container (60 Litres) and it is thriving there. I keep
it on the same watering and feeding regime as the hanging baskets and we get
Rhubarb Fool every fortnight. It seems to prefer the container because I can
keep the soil moister than in the garden.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).