GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   tomatoe leaf removal (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/36334-tomatoe-leaf-removal.html)

JennyC 12-07-2003 12:08 PM

tomatoe leaf removal

A friend saw some tomatoes growing in a nearby garden. the owner had
removed nearly all the leaves.......
is this a good idea ? Will the plant put all its energy into the fruit
instead of foliage ??

Jenny

Alan Gould 12-07-2003 02:32 PM

tomatoe leaf removal

In article , JennyC
writes
A friend saw some tomatoes growing in a nearby garden. the owner had
removed nearly all the leaves.......
is this a good idea ? Will the plant put all its energy into the fruit
instead of foliage ??

Some people also do that to grape vines. It is said to help first
trusses/bunches to form up and ripen, but we have never done it. We just
don't think it is any way to treat plants without good reason. We began
picking our first tomatoes three weeks ago and we are already bagging
and freezing surplus crops from Alicante plants sown as seed in mid-Feb.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Emrys Davies 12-07-2003 03:32 PM

tomatoe leaf removal

'JennyC',

As tomato plants begin to age a little, the bottom leaves become spent
and because they have served their purpose it is best to remove them so
as to maximize air circulation, prevent disease and also let the light
penetrate to the unripened fruits to speed-up their ripening.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.