GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Anyone know anything about peppers? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/36384-anyone-know-anything-about-peppers.html)

[email protected] 13-07-2003 01:21 AM

Anyone know anything about peppers?

Its my first year of growing peppers, I've potted 8 up in pots going
from 4 inches to 8 inches.
They seem to be doing ok (about 18 inches tall but they seem to be
going black (on the stems). Have I done something wrong?

One of them has a small white flower. Should I pick it off or let it
grow?

Thanks

Chris French and Helen Johnson 13-07-2003 01:46 AM

Anyone know anything about peppers?

I think it's normal, we get these dark marks on some of ours.

Leave the flowers on - without hose you won't get any peppers.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Neil Trotter 13-07-2003 03:20 AM

Anyone know anything about peppers?

In article ,
said:

Its my first year of growing peppers, I've potted 8 up in pots going
from 4 inches to 8 inches.
They seem to be doing ok (about 18 inches tall but they seem to be
going black (on the stems). Have I done something wrong?

It's my first year too -- so my comments based on comparison rather than
experience. Mine are a little taller, maybe 30-36", growing in a
conservatory, so get a bit of a boost. No blackness on the stems here,
and I can't help you with that.

One of them has a small white flower. Should I pick it off or let it
grow?

Let it grow if you want fruit to set :-)

Clueless as I am, I managed to bumble into this a few weeks ago. A lot
of it is overkill for the likes of us (and never mind that it is aimed
at Alberta greenhouse growers), but there is lots of good pepper info
he

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/opp2873

HTH,

--Neil.

--
Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK

Darkginger 13-07-2003 10:16 AM

Anyone know anything about peppers?

Neil Trotter wrote in message
In article ,
said:

Its my first year of growing peppers, I've potted 8 up in pots going
from 4 inches to 8 inches.
They seem to be doing ok (about 18 inches tall but they seem to be
going black (on the stems). Have I done something wrong?

It's my first year too -- so my comments based on comparison rather than
experience. Mine are a little taller, maybe 30-36", growing in a
conservatory, so get a bit of a boost. No blackness on the stems here,
and I can't help you with that.

My first year too! My (single) plant is only about 9" tall, but it already
has several peppers developing on it. It's on an outside windowsill (in the
west of Ireland). The flowers never really seemed to open - as the petals
spread, the pepper started growing inside them! I have black shading on
mine, too, where the stems branch - and it doesn't seem to be doing any
harm. I'm seeing similar dark shading on my indoor chilli plants (well, a
couple of them) - maybe it's normal? (My chillies are developing nicely,
too!)

Jo

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

tim50stroud 13-07-2003 12:09 PM

wrote in message

Its my first year of growing peppers, I've potted 8 up in pots going
from 4 inches to 8 inches.
They seem to be doing ok (about 18 inches tall but they seem to be
going black (on the stems). Have I done something wrong?

One of them has a small white flower. Should I pick it off or let it
grow?

Thanks

Its my second year of condervatory growing in 6in pots in a growbag tray. I
saved the seeds from last year and to my delight theyre bigger and stronger
than the 4 different vaireties I bought from the seed catalogue. Had bad
greenfly which slowed them down a bit, but most have recovered and are
starting to flower, and one is starting fuit

John Cotterill 13-07-2003 01:08 PM

Anyone know anything about peppers?

All,

Black markings on the stems is perfectly normal and tends to appear streaky
in nature and is a sign that the plant is strong and healthy.

The flowers tend to be very small and rarely open with the pepper/chilli
growing directly out of the flower after a couple of days, these flowers
always tend to appear at the joins between the main stem and side shoots.

Last year I grew chilli's for the first time in my greenhouse and to be
honest they went mad and from three large plants inexcess of 3ft each I must
have cropped several hundred chilli's, they do like to be kept well fed and
on the damp side I use capillary matting which is linked to a bucket of
water to ensure wetness 24 hours a day.

This year I am trying peppers which have so far been very slow but are now
growing strongly.

Hope that helps.