GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Is it me .... Sweet Peas not smelling as well (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/36608-me-sweet-peas-not-smelling-well.html)

Zizz 14-07-2003 09:42 PM

Is it me .... Sweet Peas not smelling as well

This year!

Or has my sense of smell gone!

The Devil's Advocate 14-07-2003 09:42 PM

Is it me .... Sweet Peas not smelling as well

Mine are smelling just fine

Zizz wrote:
: This year!
:
: Or has my sense of smell gone!
: L

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

Ann 14-07-2003 10:22 PM

Is it me .... Sweet Peas not smelling as well

"The Devil's Advocate" wrote in
message ...
Mine are smelling just fine

Zizz wrote:
: This year!
:
: Or has my sense of smell gone!
: L

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

Some have more scent than others. I got a free packet of Romeo and they
smell gorgeous, but being white with blue edging they are a bit pale. My
darker ones (mixed packet) don't smell as strongly, but a mixed bunch look
lovely and scent the whole room!
Ann

shazzbat 15-07-2003 12:33 PM

Is it me .... Sweet Peas not smelling as well

"Zizz" wrote in message
This year!

Or has my sense of smell gone!

Are they double flowered or variegated etc?. Our plain ones smell fine, but
a neighbour has some very fancy ones which hardly smell at all. I think the
aroma has suffered in the crossbreding for visual effect.

Swings and roundabouts methinks.

Steve

Rod 15-07-2003 06:49 PM

Is it me .... Sweet Peas not smelling as well

"Zizz" wrote in message ...
This year!

Or has my sense of smell gone!

Probably not. My assistant got some seeds of old fashioned 'pre Spencer' varieties this year from a sweet pea society
and the scent is just as I remember from years ago.

Rod

Victoria Clare 16-07-2003 09:32 AM

Is it me .... Sweet Peas not smelling as well

"Zizz" wrote in news:YtEQa.12106
:

This year!

Or has my sense of smell gone!

If you are sniffing them in the heat of the day, that might be it. I
reckon the hot sun reduces the scent of my roses, anyway: they smell
stronger after the rain. (which is here at last! What a relief.)

Victoria