GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   West Coast of Canada Apricot Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/36697-west-coast-canada-apricot-question.html)

~ rob ~ 15-07-2003 06:49 PM

West Coast of Canada Apricot Question

Hi,

Anybody here having success with Apricots in the UK? Talk to me about it?

This is a nice place:

-rj-

Nick Maclaren 15-07-2003 06:49 PM

West Coast of Canada Apricot Question

In article ,
~ rob ~ wrote:

Anybody here having success with Apricots in the UK? Talk to me about it?

They are pretty marginal here, even on a south wall, as our summers
aren't reliably hot enough. I have know people who have succeeded,
though.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

anton 15-07-2003 11:07 PM

West Coast of Canada Apricot Question

Nick Maclaren wrote in message ...
In article ,
~ rob ~ wrote:

Anybody here having success with Apricots in the UK? Talk to me about it?

They are pretty marginal here, even on a south wall, as our summers
aren't reliably hot enough. I have know people who have succeeded,
though.

I had some lovely apricots, of several varieties, at a plum tasting
at Brogdale in Kent last year. The trees were grown in the
general shelter of a hedge but otherwise in the open. I don't
know whether the crop is reliable year after after year- my guess
is not.

--
Anton

Sue & Bob Hobden 16-07-2003 02:46 AM

" ~ rob ~" wrote in message
Anybody here having success with Apricots in the UK? Talk to me about it?

We had a tree for many years which was planted against a S. facing fence
which it outgrew. Despite living in a warm part of the UK we still suffered
with late frosts taking the blossom and only got a few fruit in total. It
was eventually struck by lightening, and serves it right. :-)

There is a town in Oxfordshire called Aynho where the local Squire had such
a passion for Apricots he made all his tenants plant them against their
property, last time I drove through (a few years ago) some still had Apricot
trees outside their houses. Must be old trees now.
Presumably they successfully fruited.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.