Old 15-07-2003, 08:21 PM
Ben

Default "Instant Flowerbeds" - any good?

I saw these for sale in Tesco today, half price. Basically for a fiver you
get a roll of fibrous matting inpregnated with seeds, a list of types and
percentage is on the back of the box (minimum of 1500). Basically you roll
it out onto some watered soil and water it in, watering twice daily.

In about two weeks seedlings/small plants should have appeared.

I am not well up on gardening but it would be nice to have a bit of colour
round the garden.

Any tips / suggestions?

=# Ben #=

Old 16-07-2003, 01:03 PM
Amanda Pope

As a nursery owner I would never advocate buying plants from the
supermarket, especially in plastic bags. ( supermarkets have already
destroyed the highstreet do we gardeners want then to put the nurseries out
of business too!!!)

But this is a variation on a tried and tested method of sowing wild flower
seed on motorway embankments.

It works very well there in difficult conditions so there is no reason why
not in the garden.

I would make sure that you have the ground clean before laying it out.

I hope they have the seed mix and species mix right as quick germinating
plants are likely to crowd out slower seedlings, but for a fiver it worth a
try. ( bit late this season?)

let us know how it goes

www.arghamvillage.co.uk

Old 16-07-2003, 05:25 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from "Ben" contains these words:

I saw these for sale in Tesco today, half price. Basically for a fiver you
get a roll of fibrous matting inpregnated with seeds, a list of types and
percentage is on the back of the box (minimum of 1500). Basically you roll
it out onto some watered soil and water it in, watering twice daily.

In about two weeks seedlings/small plants should have appeared.

I am not well up on gardening but it would be nice to have a bit of colour
round the garden.

Any tips / suggestions?

=# Ben #=

I would say for a fiver what you got to lose? I know some of the veggie
seeds are now available in strip form so you only need to prepare the
soil and roll out the strip. Not much different really. Beware the time
of year tho. May be a little late but then I know nothing about flowers.

Weeding the flowerbeds and tree wells Persephone Gardening 1 18-03-2006 10:08 PM
Weeding the flowerbeds and tree wells Doug Kanter Gardening 0 16-03-2006 06:44 PM
new flowerbeds Lisa Hurley Gardening 2 12-04-2004 03:32 PM
"Instant Flowerbeds" - any good? Ben United Kingdom 0 15-07-2003 08:17 PM
Spiders in the flowerbeds Judy and Dave G Gardening 12 22-04-2003 03:32 PM