GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   seeding a lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/36885-seeding-lawn.html)

manxman 17-07-2003 12:43 AM

seeding a lawn

I'm going to re-seed my lawn has anybody got any recommended seed I
should use for a general purpose family lawn, whats this canadian
grass seed like that keeps appearing in magazines.
thanks

Paul D.Smith 17-07-2003 09:27 AM

seeding a lawn

Hopefully you've done this, but you should consider why your lawn needs
reseeding first. Correct any drainage problems, compacted soil etc. before
starting otherwise next year, you'll be back to square one.

If you have a dog then the lawn is already in trouble. I've never seen a
lawn yet that looked anything other than ragged with dogs around (except
perhaps for the chihuahua/huge meadow combination which has some hope ;-) ).

As to seeds, I've used rye grass mix on my own lawn to withstand my
children. Bits of it are still very brown in the current weather but I
garden organic and I'm not wasting gallons of water on it. If you don't
mind it, clover works well in a lawn and certainly seems to help keep it
looking nice and green.

Finally, preparation, preparation, preparation! Dig, rake, settle etc. etc.
And get out all those stones before the first lawn-moving throws one through
the shed window - or is that just me?

Paul DS.

om...

Victoria Clare 18-07-2003 11:52 AM

seeding a lawn

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in
. net:

If you have a dog then the lawn is already in trouble. I've never
seen a lawn yet that looked anything other than ragged with dogs
around (except perhaps for the chihuahua/huge meadow combination which
has some hope ;-) ).

My mother's had some success by watching the paths the dogs usually use
around the garden, and getting them paved. Her dogs have 3 or 4 places
where they like to rush up and down, stand to watch if anyone is coming to
the house, or wait by the door hoping for a walk - the rest gets a lot less
wear. All those areas now have paved paths, and so far this seems to be
working.

Mind you, she does walk them at least three times a day, every day, which
also helps!

Victoria