GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Advice on growing melons (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/37168-advice-growing-melons.html)

Neil Cooper 18-07-2003 09:12 AM

Advice on growing melons

I have 2 melons growing well in large pots in my greenhouse. They are
clambering rapidly up the supports I made for them and are covered in lots
of yellow flowers. I read in a previous post that there should only be 2
melons per plant if planted in pots so should I remove some of these
flowers.?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks Neil

Victoria Clare 18-07-2003 11:22 AM

Advice on growing melons

"Neil Cooper" wrote in
:

I have 2 melons growing well in large pots in my greenhouse. They are
clambering rapidly up the supports I made for them and are covered in
lots of yellow flowers. I read in a previous post that there should
only be 2 melons per plant if planted in pots so should I remove some
of these flowers.?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

When I grew them in pots, I intended to to this, but never got round to it.
The flowers fell off leaving the recommended number of melons anyway.

I'd suggest you leave it till the fruit starts to swell - if you seem to
have too many fruits at that point, remove them then.

Make sure you pick them as soon as they are ripe. You can tell by the yummy
melon scent. If you leave them on too long, they go all flavourless (or
the one I left did, anyway).

Victoria

Rod Hewitt 18-07-2003 11:07 PM

Advice on growing melons

Victoria Clare wrote in
. 240.6:

"Neil Cooper" wrote in
:

I have 2 melons growing well in large pots in my greenhouse.

And I had one melon growing well - in the middle of the lawn. A seed that I
had dropped in the last few weeks is now a nice little seedling a few
inches high (in a pot now!). What chance of a melon before summer is over?

Rod