GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Grasshopper - Worrisit exactly? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/37383-grasshopper-worrisit-exactly.html)

Jim W 19-07-2003 12:23 AM

Grasshopper - Worrisit exactly?

Anyone know about grasshoppers?
http://www.warhams.plus.com/ghopper/

Little green critters that I've seen twice this year.. On both
occasions in or near the house.
Not keen to jump prefer to crawl.. Looks like a green cricket but
book I ahve shows these with red eyes and says not found in Brit Isles?

Not worried about them, but I've not seen this type here before though
we get the ordinary brown 'whirry' kind in grass/undergrowth up at the
plot.

About an inch long (despite the pictures;-)

Cheers
//
Jim

dave @ stejonda 19-07-2003 04:36 AM

Grasshopper - Worrisit exactly?

In message
1fybhn0.1ni3dccg2zkqkN%00senetnospamtodayta@macun limited.net, Jim W
writes
http://www.warhams.plus.com/ghopper/

very impressed at the way you got dscn0964 to smile for the camera

--
dave @ stejonda

Graham Dixon 19-07-2003 09:07 AM

Grasshopper - Worrisit exactly?

I would suggest (after reffering to 'Collins Guide') that this is a nymph
(pre dult phatse of metamorposis) of either a Great Green Bush Cricket or a
Wart Biter. Both found (but the second not common) in Southern England.

Graham Dixon

news:1fybhn0.1ni3dccg2zkqkN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...

Liz 19-07-2003 10:13 PM

Graham Dixon wrote in message
I would suggest (after reffering to 'Collins Guide') that this is a nymph
(pre dult phatse of metamorposis) of either a Great Green Bush Cricket or

Wart Biter. Both found (but the second not common) in Southern England.

Great Green Bush Crickets, in the adult phase, are unmistakeable. I

encountered them in the Isle of Wight and thought there was a plague of
locusts. Three inches long can get pretty alarming when it's insect-shaped!

liz

Pete 19-07-2003 11:05 PM

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fybhn0.1ni3dccg2zkqkN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...
Anyone know about grasshoppers?
http://www.warhams.plus.com/ghopper/

Little green critters that I've seen twice this year.. On both
occasions in or near the house.
Not keen to jump prefer to crawl.. Looks like a green cricket but
book I ahve shows these with red eyes and says not found in Brit Isles?

Not worried about them, but I've not seen this type here before though
we get the ordinary brown 'whirry' kind in grass/undergrowth up at the
plot.

About an inch long (despite the pictures;-)

Cheers
//
Jim

Yeah - don't know what make & model but we get them from time to time in our
garden in Ipswich (East Anglia). Actually quite a vivid lime green colour.

In fact, this year is the first time that I've also seen an 'ordinary' brown
one in the garden.

Is it just something about the weather this year but we seem to have more of
everything (flowers, butterflies, insects, flies...)??

Pete

ned 19-07-2003 11:13 PM

Graham Dixon wrote:
I would suggest (after reffering to 'Collins Guide') that this is a
nymph (pre dult phatse of metamorposis) of either a Great Green Bush
Cricket or a Wart Biter. Both found (but the second not common) in
Southern England.

I'd go along with the Wart-biter.
They are definitely of the cricket family with those long antennae.
Grass-hopper antennae are much shorter.

--
ned

Jim W 20-07-2003 10:46 AM

ned wrote:

Graham Dixon wrote:
I would suggest (after reffering to 'Collins Guide') that this is a
nymph (pre dult phatse of metamorposis) of either a Great Green Bush
Cricket or a Wart Biter. Both found (but the second not common) in
Southern England.

I'd go along with the Wart-biter.
They are definitely of the cricket family with those long antennae.
Grass-hopper antennae are much shorter.

--
ned

So what do Wart-Biter's 'do' exactly..

//
Jim

martin 20-07-2003 10:53 AM

Grasshopper - Worrisit exactly?

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 10:42:08 +0100,
(Jim W) wrote:

So what do Wart-Biter's 'do' exactly..

bite warts?
--
martin

Jim W 20-07-2003 11:14 AM

(Jim W) wrote:

So what do Wart-Biter's 'do' exactly..

bite warts?

Zzzzz.. I knew someone would do that..

No seriously.. Do they bite plants and cause warts? Are they a pest,
predator,.. 'incidental';-) Just green cos they wanna be!
//
Jim

martin 20-07-2003 11:14 AM

Grasshopper - Worrisit exactly?

(Jim W) wrote:

So what do Wart-Biter's 'do' exactly..

bite warts?

Zzzzz.. I knew someone would do that..

No seriously.. Do they bite plants and cause warts? Are they a pest,
predator,.. 'incidental';-) Just green cos they wanna be!
//
Jim

There seems to be a hairy version too. maybe :-)
http://www.esf.edu/efb/gibbs/lab2.htm
--
martin

ned 21-07-2003 02:55 AM

Jim W wrote:
ned wrote:

Graham Dixon wrote:
I would suggest (after reffering to 'Collins Guide') that this is

nymph (pre dult phatse of metamorposis) of either a Great Green

Bush
Cricket or a Wart Biter. Both found (but the second not common) in
Southern England.

I'd go along with the Wart-biter.
They are definitely of the cricket family with those long antennae.
Grass-hopper antennae are much shorter.

--
ned

So what do Wart-Biter's 'do' exactly..

I think it was one of those olden day 'alternative' cures where the
insect was encouraged to 'bite the wart' to make it disappear.
Any volunteers to substantiate this? ;-)

--
ned

Druss 21-07-2003 09:27 AM

(Jim W) wrote:

So what do Wart-Biter's 'do' exactly..

bite warts?

Zzzzz.. I knew someone would do that..

No seriously.. Do they bite plants and cause warts? Are they a pest,
predator,.. 'incidental';-) Just green cos they wanna be!
//
Jim

There seems to be a hairy version too. maybe :-)
http://www.esf.edu/efb/gibbs/lab2.htm
--
martin

A hairy wart biter, sounds like we're entering Monty Python territory !
Duncan