Old 20-07-2003, 01:04 PM
Anne Wheeldon

Default fatsia help

I have a very nice and healthy Fatsia: about 8 -10 years old and 5-6 feet
tall. Unfortunately it has outgrown its allotted space. I don't really want
to chop it back. I'd rather move it to somewhere where it can grow freely,
however, I've never transplanted a Fatsia before. Is it possible? Any tips
on best way to do it. It's evergreen so presumably it isn't crucuial to move
it in the autumn but when would be best? Any help gratefully received.
Anne

Old 20-07-2003, 01:42 PM
S Williams

"Anne Wheeldon" wrote in message
I have a very nice and healthy Fatsia: about 8 -10 years old and 5-6 feet
tall. Unfortunately it has outgrown its allotted space. I don't really

want
to chop it back. I'd rather move it to somewhere where it can grow freely,
however, I've never transplanted a Fatsia before. Is it possible? Any tips
on best way to do it. It's evergreen so presumably it isn't crucuial to

move
it in the autumn but when would be best? Any help gratefully received.
Anne

I've moved my fatsia several times and it hasn't come to any harm. Suggest
you wait until this hot spell is over and move it while the soil is still
warm, I've always watered mine well for some time afterwards and the next
spring/summer.
A friend of mine took hers from Scotland to Lancashire 3 years ago and it
hasn't suffered any ill effects. This was done just before Whitsun.
Steve

Fatsia japonica Ornata United Kingdom 8 17-03-2005 09:36 PM
yellowing fatsia Jane Taylor United Kingdom 4 10-05-2004 10:06 PM
Fatsia Japonica Steve Harris United Kingdom 1 21-12-2003 09:32 AM
Fatsia Japonica looking very poorly Drakanthus United Kingdom 5 13-06-2003 05:56 PM
Fatsia from seed? Chris Webb United Kingdom 2 12-11-2002 06:00 PM