Old 20-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Kate Morgan

Default I thought virburum`s were tough :-(

About two months ago I planted a Viburnum sargentii Onondaga, looking
at it today I find that a number of leaves are brown and dry, it looks
like when things get cold but it can hardly be that this year. I cannot
see any bugs and have looked in books but still dont know the reason,
any help plese

kate
Old 20-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Rod

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message ...
About two months ago I planted a Viburnum sargentii Onondaga, looking
at it today I find that a number of leaves are brown and dry, it looks
like when things get cold but it can hardly be that this year. I cannot
see any bugs and have looked in books but still dont know the reason,
any help plese

Could just be stressed by heat and drought, another possibility (hope I'm wrong) could just be be 'Sudden Oak Death' Viburnum seems
to be one of the more susceptible genera to the fungus Phytophthora ramorum, a relatively newly discovered member of the
Phytophthora group of fungi. This particular species is causing damage mainly to Oaks in the USA atm but has been found in the UK on
ornamentals. Phytophthora species include many very damaging diseases (Potato Blight amongst others) of food crops, trees and
ornamentals. That's about all I know on the subject atm but a web search should yield much more if you need to know.

Rod

Old 20-07-2003, 02:42 PM
Kate Morgan

[...]

I did wonder about that Rod, I will go off and do a search.
kate
Old 21-07-2003, 01:05 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 13:57:04 +0100, Kate Morgan wrote:

About two months ago I planted a Viburnum sargentii Onondaga, looking
at it today I find that a number of leaves are brown and dry, it looks
like when things get cold but it can hardly be that this year. I cannot
see any bugs and have looked in books but still dont know the reason,
any help plese

My guess is that it hasn't had enough water. I believe that
viburnums do not like to go dry at the root, which is a risk with
newly planted shrubs.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 21-07-2003, 05:43 PM
Kate Morgan

About two months ago I planted a Viburnum sargentii Onondaga, looking
at it today I find that a number of leaves are brown and dry, it looks
like when things get cold but it can hardly be that this year. I cannot
see any bugs and have looked in books but still dont know the reason,
any help plese

My guess is that it hasn't had enough water. I believe that
viburnums do not like to go dry at the root, which is a risk with
newly planted shrubs.

I think that you are right, I have had a good look at it and there are
no bugs and there is no die back, just crinkly leaves. I have had the
hose pipe on a gentle trickle most of the day so hopefully that will do
the trick, thanks for interest

kate