GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   The Prayer of the Tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/37602-prayer-tree.html)

Mike Roscoe 20-07-2003 05:54 PM

The Prayer of the Tree

------------------------
You who pass by and would raise your hand against me,
hearken ere you harm me.

I am the heat of your hearth on the cold winter night,
the friendly shade screening you from the summer sun.

And my fruits are refreshing draughts quenching your thirst
as you journey on.

I am the beam that holds your house, the board of your table,
the bed on which you lie,
the timber that builds your boat.

I am the handle of your hoe, the door of your homestead,
the wood of your cradle,
the shell of your last resting place.

I am the gift of God and the friend of man.

You who pass by, listen to my prayer, HARM ME NOT.
---------------------

I found this prayer typed on a piece of folded paper in a book of trees.
I like it, as did the person who first put it there. Does anyone know
who wrote it?

M.R.

Janet Sanderson 20-07-2003 09:23 PM

The Prayer of the Tree

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 16:44:30 +0100, "Mike Roscoe"
wrote:

The Prayer of the Tree
------------------------
[...]

This is a beautiful poem, and food for thought, but
does it have to include Laylands??? ;-)
Janet

Mike Roscoe 20-07-2003 09:54 PM

The Prayer of the Tree

"sw" wrote in a message:
(This prayer has been used in the Portuguese forest preservations for
more than 1,000 years.)

regards
sarah

Thanks Sarah, I too should have thought of Googling or even asking Jeeves.

M.R.