Old 21-07-2003, 02:03 PM
Mike

Default Book for new Allotment Holders

Rather old, first Published in 1982 by Severn House Publishers Ltd.

Then published in 1991 by Treasure Press, Michelin House, 81 Fulham
Road, London SW3 6RB.

With an ISBN Number 1 85051 606 5

The Allotment Gardener's Handbook by Alan Titchmarsh with over 100
diagrams and charts

seems to be a good book for real beginners.

'If' you can get one :-((

Ours came in a collection of books which were 'dumped' on us a few years
back and with the amount of new allotment holders coming up on this
newsgroup, I thought they might like to 'browse' their local and not so
local second hand bookshops

Mike

British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more
National Service (RAF) Association Scarborough. Nov 7th - 10th (Nearly Full)

Old 21-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Christopher Norton

The message
from Mike contains these words:

Rather old, first Published in 1982 by Severn House Publishers Ltd.

Then published in 1991 by Treasure Press, Michelin House, 81 Fulham
Road, London SW3 6RB.

With an ISBN Number 1 85051 606 5

The Allotment Gardener's Handbook by Alan Titchmarsh with over 100
diagrams and charts

seems to be a good book for real beginners.

'If' you can get one :-((

Ours came in a collection of books which were 'dumped' on us a few years
back and with the amount of new allotment holders coming up on this
newsgroup, I thought they might like to 'browse' their local and not so
local second hand bookshops

Mike

Thanks for the look out on that one Mike. I`m lucky, the guy next door
to us in the allotment has had one for 30 years. Decided 3 years ago
when he retired that he wanted a challenge and moved site to start
again! Every time I go down there and he is there he seems to impart
just a little bit more knowledge so you learn without it being too much
in one go. Plus he rotovated mine for me once I had got the rubbish out
of it.
Old 21-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Mike

In article , Christopher Norton
writes
[...]

I would imagine that is a good way to learn and to 'get into it',
because all of the information and 'teaching' is hands on and very very
topical and right up to date 'at that time'.

Old 21-07-2003, 07:43 PM
The Devil's Advocate

What BND777 says is probably right but I find they do better if they are not
pruned until a fair bit later than 3/4 years. Oh and anytime now really or
the autumn

-------

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

Old 21-07-2003, 09:29 PM
shazzbat

"Mike" wrote in message

Rather old, first Published in 1982 by Severn House Publishers Ltd.

Then published in 1991 by Treasure Press, Michelin House, 81 Fulham
Road, London SW3 6RB.

With an ISBN Number 1 85051 606 5

The Allotment Gardener's Handbook by Alan Titchmarsh with over 100
diagrams and charts

seems to be a good book for real beginners.

'If' you can get one :-((

Ours came in a collection of books which were 'dumped' on us a few years
back and with the amount of new allotment holders coming up on this
newsgroup, I thought they might like to 'browse' their local and not so
local second hand bookshops

Mike

When I got the allotment I found this book in my local library. This was
only 2 years ago, it should still be in many libraries.

Steve