Old 22-07-2003, 10:12 AM
Tim Tyler

Default Another berry challenge

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
: Kay Easton writes

:The final one is a Mahonia, but not sure which species.

: Looks rather like Mahonia x media (japonica x lomariifolia, IIRC) [...]

Could well be. I haven't seen it in the spring - so I don't know quite
what the flowers look like - and that might be another helpful clue.

My calling it "Oregon Grape" might well be technically wrong.

However I'm close enough to reassure me about the edibility issue -
which was my main reason for enquiring in the first place.
--
__________
Old 22-07-2003, 07:38 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Tim Tyler writes
However I'm close enough to reassure me about the edibility issue -
which was my main reason for enquiring in the first place.

That's not a completely reliable rule of thumb. IIRC, Physalis has both
edible and highly-toxic species. I also wouldn't be surprised if some
edible legumes or umbellifers had toxic close relatives.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 22-07-2003, 08:20 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In article , Tim Tyler writes
However I'm close enough to reassure me about the edibility issue -
which was my main reason for enquiring in the first place.

That's not a completely reliable rule of thumb. IIRC, Physalis has both
edible and highly-toxic species. I also wouldn't be surprised if some
edible legumes or umbellifers had toxic close relatives.

Yeah, but that's Solanaceae, Leguminaceae and umbeillferae - 3 families
full of nasty chemicals. Bereberidaceae (Mahonia's family) doesn't have
many obviously poisonous species, does it?

You're right to point out that relying on relationship to an edible
species isn't advisable, but it's a better rule of thumb in some
families than in others.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 23-07-2003, 01:33 AM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Kay Easton
writes
Yeah, but that's Solanaceae, Leguminaceae and umbeillferae - 3 families
full of nasty chemicals. Bereberidaceae (Mahonia's family) doesn't have
many obviously poisonous species, does it?

Podyphyllum peltatum

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...on/Podoppe.htm

Old 23-07-2003, 01:34 AM
Tim Tyler

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
: Kay Easton writes

:Yeah, but that's Solanaceae, Leguminaceae and umbeillferae - 3 families
:full of nasty chemicals. Bereberidaceae (Mahonia's family) doesn't have
:many obviously poisonous species, does it?

: Podyphyllum peltatum

: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...on/Podoppe.htm

That may be a relative of some of the plants I photographed -
but it sure doesn't look like a very close one - and even
there they say the ripe fruit is edible ;-)
--
__________
Old 23-07-2003, 01:34 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In article , Kay Easton
writes
Yeah, but that's Solanaceae, Leguminaceae and umbeillferae - 3 families
full of nasty chemicals. Bereberidaceae (Mahonia's family) doesn't have
many obviously poisonous species, does it?

Podyphyllum peltatum

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...on/Podoppe.htm

Hey - I've got some seeds of that :-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 24-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains these words:

That's not a completely reliable rule of thumb. IIRC, Physalis has both
edible and highly-toxic species. I also wouldn't be surprised if some
edible legumes or umbellifers had toxic close relatives.

They both do, more especially umbellifers.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.