GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Another berry challenge (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/37762-another-berry-challenge.html)

Tim Tyler 21-07-2003 05:02 PM

Another berry challenge

I was so pleased with the excellent assistance offered in my last berry
challenge here I thought I'd try my luck again ;-)

Here are photos of a couple more species of berry that seem
to grow locally near me - in the SW of the UK.

Both appear to be edible - but I'd rather ID them before taking
my chances.

The first one looks like a species of Barberry - or Mahonia.

Deep blue berries with a dark red flesh, ten brown seeds or so.

Much smaller leaves than the normal "oregan grape", though.

Delicious, though - slightly sweet.

The second has larger fruit - almost an inch across. Orange - turning red
when ripe. With dozens of cream seeds in a single enclosure within.
Each seed has a little tuft of hair atop it - and the fruit has a big
green crown where the flower used to be.

The flesh has a very mild flavour.

Pretty distinctive I reckon - which is a good job since my photos of
this one are a bit blurry and I didn't get any foliage this time :-/

I guess that's part of what makes it a berry challenge!

4 photos in total:

http://sprouting.org/garden/berries/

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
--
__________

David Hill 21-07-2003 06:25 PM

Another berry challenge

1st is Berberus or Barberry (Mahonia was once listed as Berberus aquifolium)

2nd is Rose Hip, very high in vitamin C

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

anne 21-07-2003 06:54 PM

Another berry challenge

Tim, one of these days you're going to poison yourself - be carful!!

;-)

Tim Tyler 21-07-2003 06:54 PM

Another berry challenge

David Hill wrote:

You didn't give the others much of a chance! ;-)

: 1st is Berberus or Barberry (Mahonia was once listed as Berberus aquifolium)

That led me to this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland...s-darwinii.jpg

It looks pretty similar to me ;-)

: 2nd is Rose Hip, very high in vitamin C

I wouldn't have got that. There were some rose hips further down.
They looked quite different. Longer and thinner - like this:

http://www.wunderco.com/images/ros100_100.jpg

Anyway, thanks very much!
--
__________

Tim Tyler 21-07-2003 09:29 PM

Another berry challenge

anne wrote:

: Tim, one of these days you're going to poison yourself - be carful!!

That's what my gran says.

However I figure I'm behaving with appropriate caution when it comes
to exploring new foodstuffs.

Fortunately not much guesswork seems to be needed - others have
already explored these plants - and the collective knowledge of
the folks here has proved very useful in helping identify them ;-)
--
__________

Kay Easton 21-07-2003 09:29 PM

Another berry challenge

In article , Tim Tyler writes
I was so pleased with the excellent assistance offered in my last berry
challenge here I thought I'd try my luck again ;-)

Here are photos of a couple more species of berry that seem
to grow locally near me - in the SW of the UK.

Both appear to be edible - but I'd rather ID them before taking
my chances.

You seem to have a lot more photos than the 4 promised! Not sure which
you want id'ed.

The first one looks like a species of Barberry - or Mahonia.

The first one, which you have labelled berberis - possibly darwinii, I'd
agree with. Definitely Berberis, and I think darwinii but I'm not up on
berberis.

The second has larger fruit - almost an inch across. Orange - turning red
when ripe. With dozens of cream seeds in a single enclosure within.
Each seed has a little tuft of hair atop it - and the fruit has a big
green crown where the flower used to be.

Is this the one you have labelled 'rose'? It's definitely rose, almost
certainly Rosa rugosa.

The final one is a Mahonia, but not sure which species.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Kay Easton 21-07-2003 09:29 PM

Another berry challenge

In article , Tim Tyler writes
anne wrote:

: Tim, one of these days you're going to poison yourself - be carful!!

That's what my gran says.

However I figure I'm behaving with appropriate caution when it comes
to exploring new foodstuffs.

You could always apply the 'fungi law' - always leave a sample of what
you've tried on your plate for identification if needed ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Tim Tyler 21-07-2003 09:35 PM

Another berry challenge

Tim Tyler 21-07-2003 09:36 PM

Another berry challenge

Stewart Robert Hinsley 22-07-2003 03:22 AM

Another berry challenge

In article , Kay Easton
writes
The final one is a Mahonia, but not sure which species.

Looks rather like Mahonia x media (japonica x lomariifolia, IIRC), but
there's enough species in the genus to confuse the issue. It doesn't
look like the photographs I have of M. russellii or M. lomariifolia.

BTW, Oregon Grape, is specifically Mahonia aquifolium, not any species
of the genus.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley