GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Another berry challenge (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/37762-another-berry-challenge.html)

Tim Tyler 21-07-2003 05:02 PM

Another berry challenge

I was so pleased with the excellent assistance offered in my last berry
challenge here I thought I'd try my luck again ;-)

Here are photos of a couple more species of berry that seem
to grow locally near me - in the SW of the UK.

Both appear to be edible - but I'd rather ID them before taking
my chances.

The first one looks like a species of Barberry - or Mahonia.

Deep blue berries with a dark red flesh, ten brown seeds or so.

Much smaller leaves than the normal "oregan grape", though.

Delicious, though - slightly sweet.

The second has larger fruit - almost an inch across. Orange - turning red
when ripe. With dozens of cream seeds in a single enclosure within.
Each seed has a little tuft of hair atop it - and the fruit has a big
green crown where the flower used to be.

The flesh has a very mild flavour.

Pretty distinctive I reckon - which is a good job since my photos of
this one are a bit blurry and I didn't get any foliage this time :-/

I guess that's part of what makes it a berry challenge!

4 photos in total:

http://sprouting.org/garden/berries/

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
--
__________

David Hill 21-07-2003 06:25 PM

Another berry challenge

1st is Berberus or Barberry (Mahonia was once listed as Berberus aquifolium)

2nd is Rose Hip, very high in vitamin C

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

anne 21-07-2003 06:54 PM

Another berry challenge

Tim, one of these days you're going to poison yourself - be carful!!

;-)

Tim Tyler 21-07-2003 06:54 PM

Another berry challenge

David Hill wrote:

You didn't give the others much of a chance! ;-)

: 1st is Berberus or Barberry (Mahonia was once listed as Berberus aquifolium)

That led me to this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland...s-darwinii.jpg

It looks pretty similar to me ;-)

: 2nd is Rose Hip, very high in vitamin C

I wouldn't have got that. There were some rose hips further down.
They looked quite different. Longer and thinner - like this:

http://www.wunderco.com/images/ros100_100.jpg

Anyway, thanks very much!
--
__________

Tim Tyler 21-07-2003 09:29 PM

Another berry challenge

anne wrote:

: Tim, one of these days you're going to poison yourself - be carful!!

That's what my gran says.

However I figure I'm behaving with appropriate caution when it comes
to exploring new foodstuffs.

Fortunately not much guesswork seems to be needed - others have
already explored these plants - and the collective knowledge of
the folks here has proved very useful in helping identify them ;-)
--
__________

Kay Easton 21-07-2003 09:29 PM

Another berry challenge

In article , Tim Tyler writes
I was so pleased with the excellent assistance offered in my last berry
challenge here I thought I'd try my luck again ;-)

Here are photos of a couple more species of berry that seem
to grow locally near me - in the SW of the UK.

Both appear to be edible - but I'd rather ID them before taking
my chances.

You seem to have a lot more photos than the 4 promised! Not sure which
you want id'ed.

The first one looks like a species of Barberry - or Mahonia.

The first one, which you have labelled berberis - possibly darwinii, I'd
agree with. Definitely Berberis, and I think darwinii but I'm not up on
berberis.

The second has larger fruit - almost an inch across. Orange - turning red
when ripe. With dozens of cream seeds in a single enclosure within.
Each seed has a little tuft of hair atop it - and the fruit has a big
green crown where the flower used to be.

Is this the one you have labelled 'rose'? It's definitely rose, almost
certainly Rosa rugosa.

The final one is a Mahonia, but not sure which species.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Kay Easton 21-07-2003 09:29 PM

Another berry challenge

In article , Tim Tyler writes
anne wrote:

: Tim, one of these days you're going to poison yourself - be carful!!

That's what my gran says.

However I figure I'm behaving with appropriate caution when it comes
to exploring new foodstuffs.

You could always apply the 'fungi law' - always leave a sample of what
you've tried on your plate for identification if needed ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Tim Tyler 21-07-2003 09:35 PM

Another berry challenge

Tim Tyler 21-07-2003 09:36 PM

Another berry challenge

Stewart Robert Hinsley 22-07-2003 03:22 AM

Another berry challenge

In article , Kay Easton
writes
The final one is a Mahonia, but not sure which species.

Looks rather like Mahonia x media (japonica x lomariifolia, IIRC), but
there's enough species in the genus to confuse the issue. It doesn't
look like the photographs I have of M. russellii or M. lomariifolia.

BTW, Oregon Grape, is specifically Mahonia aquifolium, not any species
of the genus.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Tim Tyler 22-07-2003 10:12 AM

Another berry challenge

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
: Kay Easton writes

:The final one is a Mahonia, but not sure which species.

: Looks rather like Mahonia x media (japonica x lomariifolia, IIRC) [...]

Could well be. I haven't seen it in the spring - so I don't know quite
what the flowers look like - and that might be another helpful clue.

My calling it "Oregon Grape" might well be technically wrong.

However I'm close enough to reassure me about the edibility issue -
which was my main reason for enquiring in the first place.
--
__________

Stewart Robert Hinsley 22-07-2003 07:38 PM

Another berry challenge

In article , Tim Tyler writes
However I'm close enough to reassure me about the edibility issue -
which was my main reason for enquiring in the first place.

That's not a completely reliable rule of thumb. IIRC, Physalis has both
edible and highly-toxic species. I also wouldn't be surprised if some
edible legumes or umbellifers had toxic close relatives.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Kay Easton 22-07-2003 08:20 PM

Another berry challenge

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In article , Tim Tyler writes
However I'm close enough to reassure me about the edibility issue -
which was my main reason for enquiring in the first place.

That's not a completely reliable rule of thumb. IIRC, Physalis has both
edible and highly-toxic species. I also wouldn't be surprised if some
edible legumes or umbellifers had toxic close relatives.

Yeah, but that's Solanaceae, Leguminaceae and umbeillferae - 3 families
full of nasty chemicals. Bereberidaceae (Mahonia's family) doesn't have
many obviously poisonous species, does it?

You're right to point out that relying on relationship to an edible
species isn't advisable, but it's a better rule of thumb in some
families than in others.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Stewart Robert Hinsley 23-07-2003 01:33 AM

Another berry challenge

In article , Kay Easton
writes
Yeah, but that's Solanaceae, Leguminaceae and umbeillferae - 3 families
full of nasty chemicals. Bereberidaceae (Mahonia's family) doesn't have
many obviously poisonous species, does it?

Podyphyllum peltatum

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...on/Podoppe.htm

Tim Tyler 23-07-2003 01:34 AM

Another berry challenge

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
: Kay Easton writes

:Yeah, but that's Solanaceae, Leguminaceae and umbeillferae - 3 families
:full of nasty chemicals. Bereberidaceae (Mahonia's family) doesn't have
:many obviously poisonous species, does it?

: Podyphyllum peltatum

: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...on/Podoppe.htm

That may be a relative of some of the plants I photographed -
but it sure doesn't look like a very close one - and even
there they say the ripe fruit is edible ;-)
--
__________

Kay Easton 23-07-2003 01:34 AM

Another berry challenge

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In article , Kay Easton
writes
Yeah, but that's Solanaceae, Leguminaceae and umbeillferae - 3 families
full of nasty chemicals. Bereberidaceae (Mahonia's family) doesn't have
many obviously poisonous species, does it?

Podyphyllum peltatum

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...on/Podoppe.htm

Hey - I've got some seeds of that :-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Rusty Hinge 24-07-2003 09:12 PM

Another berry challenge

The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains these words:

That's not a completely reliable rule of thumb. IIRC, Physalis has both
edible and highly-toxic species. I also wouldn't be surprised if some
edible legumes or umbellifers had toxic close relatives.

They both do, more especially umbellifers.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.