Old 28-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Banned Herbicides & Pesticides

"anton" wrote in news:bfsbai$pd6$1
@titan.btinternet.com:

To choose- what other people use in their gardens? I
understand the point you're making, but similar considerations
apply to trees blowing leaves into other's gardens; people owning cats;
other people's hedges creating shade or dryness.
Our population densities mean that we all have effects on the
lives of many others, but trying to justify legislation on the basis
that you have the 'right to choose' that my garden is managed
in such a way as to maximise the predator count in your garden
seems pretty far-fetched to me.

Well, OK.
But you suggested that people who didn't believe pests were a big problem
should do their own thing and let everyone else make their own decision.

I just wanted to point out that it might not be possible for both of those
things to happen. People don't all make the same decision at the same
time, and they are easily discouraged by initial failure. If they could all
take the plunge at the same time, perhaps things might be different.

This is why we have government:to decide which of two incompatible points
of view should take precedence when we can't, and take the long view. Or
that's the theory, anyway. ;-)

Victoria
Old 28-07-2003, 11:44 AM
martin

:

[...]

The EU is trying to prevent even more contamination of the ground
water, that supplies us with drinking water. Landfill sites in UK
should become a thing of the past too.
--
Martin
Old 29-07-2003, 12:13 AM
Mary Fisher

There's been a recent urg thread on tipping
'poisons' on compost heaps, and the 50ft high object in the
corner of my garden will rain 'poisons' over a large area in
a few months time. Urine and oak leaves.

Is urine poisonous?

Mary
--
Anton

Old 29-07-2003, 08:45 AM
anton

Mary Fisher wrote in message
.. .

There's been a recent urg thread on tipping
'poisons' on compost heaps, and the 50ft high object in the
corner of my garden will rain 'poisons' over a large area in
a few months time. Urine and oak leaves.

Is urine poisonous?

Of course- in sufficient quantity. Just like pesticides.

--
Anton

Old 29-07-2003, 09:23 PM
Mary Fisher

Is urine poisonous?

Of course- in sufficient quantity. Just like pesticides.

Gosh. I've had gallons and gallons of urine in my body over sixty odd years
and I'm still around. My mum is ninety one.

Amazing.

Mary

--
Anton

Old 29-07-2003, 10:02 PM
martin

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:49:52 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Gosh. I've had gallons and gallons of urine in my body over sixty odd years
and I'm still around. My mum is ninety one.

Amazing.

Now tell us that you drink it.
--
Martin
Old 29-07-2003, 10:13 PM
Brian Watson

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Is urine poisonous?

Of course- in sufficient quantity. Just like pesticides.

Gosh. I've had gallons and gallons of urine in my body over sixty odd

years
and I'm still around. My mum is ninety one.

Are you taking the ... ?

--
Brian
"What's the point in growing up if you can't behave like a kid when you want

Old 29-07-2003, 10:42 PM
David Hill

"..... "What's the point in growing up if you can't behave like a kid when
you want to." ....."

But if I take off all my cloths and start building sand castles in my sand
heap.................

"They're coming to take him away.......Ha Ha..."

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 29-07-2003, 11:45 PM
anton

Mary Fisher wrote in message
.. .

Is urine poisonous?

Of course- in sufficient quantity. Just like pesticides.

Gosh. I've had gallons and gallons of urine in my body over sixty odd years
and I'm still around. My mum is ninety one.

Amazing.

No- not amazing. You've just proved that it's perfectly safe if
you follow the instructions on the can. Just like

pesticides ;-)

--
Anton

Old 30-07-2003, 12:06 AM
David Hill

"..... You've just proved that it's perfectly safe if
you follow the instructions on the can. ........"

By the time you've rushed to the "can" the last thing you are going to do is
to read any instructions.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 30-07-2003, 11:02 AM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

Gosh. I've had gallons and gallons of urine in my body over sixty odd

years
and I'm still around. My mum is ninety one.

Amazing.

Now tell us that you drink it.

I think it was Pandit Nehru who lived by the saying that a pint a day keeps
the doctor away.

Franz Heymann

Old 30-07-2003, 11:12 AM
martin

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 07:40:28 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Gosh. I've had gallons and gallons of urine in my body over sixty odd

years
and I'm still around. My mum is ninety one.

Amazing.

Now tell us that you drink it.

I think it was Pandit Nehru who lived by the saying that a pint a day keeps
the doctor away.

many people find more than one pint a day helps too :-)
--
Martin
Old 30-07-2003, 03:42 PM
anton

sw wrote in message ...
anton wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote in message
.. .

Is urine poisonous?

Of course- in sufficient quantity. Just like pesticides.

Gosh. I've had gallons and gallons of urine in my body over sixty odd

years
and I'm still around. My mum is ninety one.

Amazing.

No- not amazing. You've just proved that it's perfectly safe if
you follow the instructions on the can. Just like

pesticides ;-)

Sorry, but that's not true... organochlorines aren't 'perfectly safe'
whether you follow the instructions on the tin or not :-/

Sorry, that's not true. PVC is an organochlorine and is
'perfectly safe' unless you start burning it.

Which organochlorines in which tins are you suggesting ain't
perfectly safe?

--
Anton

Old 30-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Mary Fisher

No- not amazing. You've just proved that it's perfectly safe if
you follow the instructions on the can. Just like

pesticides ;-)

Sorry, but that's not true... organochlorines aren't 'perfectly safe'
whether you follow the instructions on the tin or not :-/

Sorry, that's not true. PVC is an organochlorine and is
'perfectly safe' unless you start burning it.

Which organochlorines in which tins are you suggesting ain't
perfectly safe?

I'll get my chair ...

Mary

Old 30-07-2003, 11:09 PM
sw

anton wrote:

sw wrote in message ...
anton wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote in message
.. .

Is urine poisonous?

Of course- in sufficient quantity. Just like pesticides.

Gosh. I've had gallons and gallons of urine in my body over sixty odd

years
and I'm still around. My mum is ninety one.

Amazing.

No- not amazing. You've just proved that it's perfectly safe if
you follow the instructions on the can. Just like

pesticides ;-)

Sorry, but that's not true... organochlorines aren't 'perfectly safe'
whether you follow the instructions on the tin or not :-/

Sorry, that's not true. PVC is an organochlorine and is
'perfectly safe' unless you start burning it.

PVC is generally regarded as a pesticide, is it?

Which organochlorines in which tins are you suggesting ain't
perfectly safe?

DDT, aldrin, dieldrin... just ask an otter. Or a bird of prey.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.