Old 23-07-2003, 08:03 PM
Paul Segynowycz

Default Banned Herbicides & Pesticides

I was listening to You & Yours this lunchtime and caught a bit of an article
about EU banning certain Pesticides & hebicides from Today. Does anyone know
what the list is?

As for that Monty Don - he has gone well down in my estimation, positively
enthusing about the demise of chemicals. He may have the time to hand pick
weeds and insects and go organic, but I'm sure that i have not.

Old 23-07-2003, 10:32 PM
David Rance

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Paul Segynowycz wrote:

I was listening to You & Yours this lunchtime and caught a bit of an article
about EU banning certain Pesticides & hebicides from Today. Does anyone know
what the list is?

I was beginning to wonder whether Bordeaux Mixture and Dithane had been
banned. Bordeaux Mixture seems to be more scarce than it was. Although I
can get small sachets of Dithane in England I can't find it anywhere in
the shops in France. Last year there was no problem.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 23-07-2003, 11:03 PM
Mary Fisher

As for that Monty Don - he has gone well down in my estimation, positively
enthusing about the demise of chemicals. He may have the time to hand pick
weeds and insects and go organic, but I'm sure that i have not.

I've never heard of him but I couldn't fault anything he said.

I understood that he didn't think that most pests were enough of a problem
to put poisons in the envoronment.

I agree.

Mary

Old 23-07-2003, 11:03 PM
David Hill

".........I was listening to You & Yours this lunchtime and caught a bit of
an article about EU banning certain Pesticides & herbicides from Today. Does
anyone know what the list is? .........."

Try http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/news/...993940,00.html

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 23-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Mary Fisher

Oh, by the way, it seems that everyone is expected to hand over remaining
stuff by the end of the year or sometime thereafter.

In your dreams!

Mary

Old 23-07-2003, 11:12 PM
David Hill

With the move by the EU to ban all things containing chemicals the following
is really disturbing.....

".....Bay Area women have three to 10 times greater amounts of a chemical
flame retardant in their breasts than either European or Japanese women,
says a study by California scientists published Tuesday....... "

Full item at
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...2/MN137868.DTL

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 23-07-2003, 11:44 PM
Mary Fisher

"David Hill" wrote in message
With the move by the EU to ban all things containing chemicals the

following
is really disturbing.....

".....Bay Area women have three to 10 times greater amounts of a chemical
flame retardant in their breasts than either European or Japanese women,
says a study by California scientists published Tuesday....... "

No time to look at that, off tomorrow until next week.

See you all then.

Mary

Old 23-07-2003, 11:45 PM
bnd777

well some of us have no problems with a totally organic garden .......get
the soil right and plant the right mix of things and you should not have a
major problem
Theres also lots of DIY mixes you can make that are safe and effective

Old 24-07-2003, 12:02 AM
Mary Fisher

"bnd777" wrote in message
well some of us have no problems with a totally organic garden .......get
the soil right and plant the right mix of things and you should not have a
major problem
Theres also lots of DIY mixes you can make that are safe and effective

Yes, that chap mentioned nettle solution and something else.

I wouldn't touch artificial weedkillers or insecticides or 'fertilisers'.

Mary

Old 24-07-2003, 04:13 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:07:28 +0100, David Hill wrote:

".....Bay Area women have three to 10 times greater amounts of a chemical
flame retardant in their breasts than either European or Japanese women,
says a study by California scientists published Tuesday....... "

Ah, but some of those "women" are really men with fake plastic
breasts! (Sodom on the Bay and all that). These scientific types
really must learn to pay closer attention!

NB: "the Bay" and "Bay Area" refer to San Francisco Bay.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Old 24-07-2003, 07:24 AM
JennyC

"Paul Segynowycz" wrote in message
I was listening to You & Yours this lunchtime and caught a bit of an

article
about EU banning certain Pesticides & hebicides from Today. Does

anyone know
what the list is?

As for that Monty Don - he has gone well down in my estimation,

positively
enthusing about the demise of chemicals. He may have the time to

hand pick
weeds and insects and go organic, but I'm sure that i have not.

More info at the following sites
http://www.foodlaw.rdg.ac.uk/news/eu-03045.htm
http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/ec_proc...ral/91414backg
round.htm

I found some more but the Eurospeak becomes more and more Kafkanesque
................"~(
Jenny

Old 24-07-2003, 07:43 AM
anton

Mary Fisher wrote in message
.. .

As for that Monty Don - he has gone well down in my estimation,

positively
enthusing about the demise of chemicals. He may have the time to hand

pick
weeds and insects and go organic, but I'm sure that i have not.

I've never heard of him but I couldn't fault anything he said.

I understood that he didn't think that most pests were enough of a problem
to put poisons in the envoronment.

I agree.

That's not quite making the situation clear, though, is it? He
and you think that 'pests are not enough of a problem to put poisons into
the environment'. So don't do it yourselves.
These measures however, mean _everybody_ is banned from
doing so, regardless of whether they agree or not. That's
a horse of a different colour. Clearly some chemicals have
been rightly banned- I'm glad that lead arsenate is no longer used as an
apple spray, for instance- but knee-jerk welcoming
any ban of any chemicals is just- a knee-jerk.

Furthermore, this hysterical use of 'poisons' doesn't produce
clear thinking. There's been a recent urg thread on tipping
'poisons' on compost heaps, and the 50ft high object in the
corner of my garden will rain 'poisons' over a large area in
a few months time. Urine and oak leaves.

--
Anton

Old 24-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Steve Harris

In article ,
(JennyC) wrote:

I found some more but the Eurospeak becomes more and more Kafkanesque

Indeed. Can anyone tell me if
http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/ec_proc...ions/ec_decisi
ons.htm means that Glyphosate is banned:

And can anyone translate: "Inclusion originally published as Commission
Directive 2000/10/EC which is repealed and replaced by a consolidated
Annex I listing, laid out in the amending Commission Directive
2000/80/EC (see entry for azimsulfuron above)."

Old 24-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Chris J Dixon

Paul Segynowycz wrote:

I was listening to You & Yours this lunchtime and caught a bit of an article
about EU banning certain Pesticides & hebicides from Today. Does anyone know
what the list is?

follow the BBC link to
http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/farmers...ed_actives.htm

Not quite sure what they are doing about Jeyes fluid, does it
mean that you can still possess it, but there are limits on what
you are permitted to do with it?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 24-07-2003, 10:04 PM
Alan Gould

In article , anton
writes
Furthermore, this hysterical use of 'poisons' doesn't produce
clear thinking. There's been a recent urg thread on tipping
'poisons' on compost heaps, and the 50ft high object in the
corner of my garden will rain 'poisons' over a large area in
a few months time. Urine and oak leaves.

Thanks for that perceptive observation Anton. There has often been a
distinct lack of clear thinking in urg when the comparative merits of
chemical and organic gardening are under discussion.

The recent 'ban' on some chemicals popularly used in gardening is not
being introduced out of any support for organic methods, but on safety
grounds. In the past, many chemicals have been similarly banned e.g.
aldrin and dieldrin to name but two, but the effect was to encourage the
introduction of other chemicals in their place. There is an ongoing
demand for such products by gardeners who choose that style of
gardening, and commercial interests see that the demand is met.

A lifetime of organic gardening without using manufactured chemicals
proves to me that they are not necessary. We currently garden two acres
at age 75+70 and we could not cope with all the problems brought about
by chemical gardening. Neither do we wish to eat garden food grown that
way. Anyone who would like to know more is invited to read the urg FAQ
on organic gardening at:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFA...gardening.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.