Old 25-07-2003, 09:43 PM
Kay Easton

Default It makes me CROSS!!!

In article , Michael Saunby
writes

But where did this custom of keeping (someone else's) pavement clear? It
seems at odd with all other similar practices. Even removing dog shit,
litter, etc. from pavements isn't the responsibility of the person the
other side of the hedge.

When I was young, everyone accepted it as their responsibility to clear
the snow from the pavement outside their house. With our increasingly
litigious society, this practice has died, one the logic that if someone
slips in the snow and breaks their leg it is an 'act of God' whereas if
you sweep the snow, but inadvertently leave a damp area that freezes
overnight into a sheet of ice, and someone slips on that, they can sue
you for causing the problem. Don't know whether this is true, but it
seems to be widely believed.

What about council tenants - who cuts their hedges?

the tenants.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 26-07-2003, 12:12 AM
Warwick

In article ,
says...
Any super market that spends several hundreds of pounds in what is
essentially a wire box on wheels deserves to loose a few

I'll skip the tpo, although the image it conjures up is *interesting*.

Since the supermarket owns the trolley it would be theft to remove one
from their property. It sound horribly as though you are advocating
theft. If it should be plain to someone that picking up a few seeds that
are lying around on a hillside in a woodland that they are stealing then
it should be blindingly obvious that a manufactured and large item such
as a shopping trolley has an owner (especially since that owner's
company name is usually in plain view on it). Of course you couldn't be
advocating theft such as that could you?

They have spend a lot of money on them. They need to be built to take
heavy loads and give a smooth and quiet push for the customer. Lots of
design work has gone into those things over the years trying to develop
them so they don't get wobbly wheels after a few months of abuse and
don't end up turning left constantly.

The supermarkets are aware that while price is a factor, they *will*
lose customers for silly things like too many wobbly trolleys. That they
spend so much on bearings and design has led them to try any number of
means of retaining their property. The initial attempt of making you put
a quid deposit in the trolley was unpopular with many and is
disappearing slowly. The new trolleys are more expensive since the
wheels became a little more high tech and when you cross the boundary of
many of the supermarket sites, a brake mechanism engages.

These new trolleys have their own problems in that sometimes they'll be
scooped up by the low-wage trolley collectors with their electric
trolley pushing machines and forced across the entire carpark,
developing a flat spot on the braked wheel.

Warwick
Old 26-07-2003, 09:13 AM
David Rance

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, AndWhyNot wrote:

Also you DON'T get any free plastic carrier bags ............. unless
you pay heavily for them (pollution) everyone brings thier own
re-useable bags ............

In France that's only true at Leclerc's. All the other supermarkets give
away masses of plastic bags.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 26-07-2003, 09:14 AM
David Rance

Old 26-07-2003, 10:02 AM
Ophelia

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, AndWhyNot wrote:

Also you DON'T get any free plastic carrier bags ............. unless
you pay heavily for them (pollution) everyone brings thier own
re-useable bags ............

In France that's only true at Leclerc's. All the other supermarkets give
away masses of plastic bags.

Well you certainly don't get free bags in Germany

Ophelia

Old 26-07-2003, 10:22 AM
David Rance

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, Ophelia wrote:

Also you DON'T get any free plastic carrier bags ............. unless
you pay heavily for them (pollution) everyone brings thier own
re-useable bags ............

In France that's only true at Leclerc's. All the other supermarkets give
away masses of plastic bags.

Well you certainly don't get free bags in Germany

I think I would expect that. The Germans have always been more
environmentally conscious than much of Western Europe. For instance,
they've been recycling paper for longer than I can remember.

However in the last five or six years the French have started providing
recycling depots in almost every commune - *and* they have bins in the
supermarkets for dead batteries. As someone else said, we are lagging
behind in this country, plus the fact that we still can't work out what
substances are banned in the garden!

Old 26-07-2003, 11:02 AM
JennyC

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, AndWhyNot wrote:

Also you DON'T get any free plastic carrier bags .............

unless
you pay heavily for them (pollution) everyone brings thier own
re-useable bags ............

In France that's only true at Leclerc's. All the other

supermarkets give
away masses of plastic bags.

Well you certainly don't get free bags in Germany
Ophelia

Nor in Holland.......
Jenny

Old 26-07-2003, 11:12 AM
JennyC

"Essjay001" wrote
David Rance wrote:
Actually they do - in France. There are "cantonniers" whose job it

is
to go round in the countryside cutting grass and trimming hedges.

And
when one of my hedges over there was deemed to be interfering with

the
automatic working of a street light a councillor came and trimmed

it
back himself!

David I am sure that your comment is very relevant to the french way

of
life, but in all honesty can you see that happening in the UK?
Steve R

PS "uk.rec.gardening" gives one the idea that french custom and

practice are
not really relevant here

But that's what make URG interesting - all the various tendrils that a
thread makes :~)
Besides Northern France has a very similar climate to parts of Britain
as does whole tracts of Europe.....

Come on Steve, be a bit more 'European' minded. Just think all this
European info might come in handy if Bratian ever joins Europe
properly :~))
Jenny

Old 26-07-2003, 11:23 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message MPG.198bc7f4a3f5a365989806@lateinos
from Warwick contains these words:

(Horridmarket shopping trolleys)

They have spend a lot of money on them. They need to be built to take
heavy loads and give a smooth and quiet push for the customer. Lots of
design work has gone into those things over the years trying to develop
them so they don't get wobbly wheels after a few months of abuse and
don't end up turning left constantly.

I'm tempted to say something very rude here. Little if any informed
design work has gone into them, especially in the undercarriage area.

I was writing to supermarkets back in the 'sixties and 'seventies
pointing out that wheel-wobble, flapping, etc requires only a slight
adjustment in the angle of the castor mounting shanks to eliminate those
vices.

The castors are still mounted vertically.

The supermarkets are aware that while price is a factor, they *will*
lose customers for silly things like too many wobbly trolleys. That they
spend so much on bearings and design has led them to try any number of
means of retaining their property. The initial attempt of making you put
a quid deposit in the trolley was unpopular with many and is
disappearing slowly. The new trolleys are more expensive since the
wheels became a little more high tech and when you cross the boundary of
many of the supermarket sites, a brake mechanism engages.

And the castors are still mounted vertically.

These new trolleys have their own problems in that sometimes they'll be
scooped up by the low-wage trolley collectors with their electric
trolley pushing machines and forced across the entire carpark,
developing a flat spot on the braked wheel.

Those eclectic trolling chamines have yet to hit us here in rural East
Angular.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.
Old 26-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:
"David Rance" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, AndWhyNot wrote:

Also you DON'T get any free plastic carrier bags ............. unless
you pay heavily for them (pollution) everyone brings thier own
re-useable bags ............

In France that's only true at Leclerc's. All the other supermarkets give
away masses of plastic bags.

Well you certainly don't get free bags in Germany

I'm told that some of the really hideous bags that accost you in certain
areas of Norwich don't come free, either.

Old 26-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Charlie

Nope, they have them at both the local Tesco's and Sainsbury's here. I'm
ashamed to say that my friend does this for a living. Although I must say,
he rather enjoys driving around on his little buggy! Not in winter though.
Too cold.

Charlie.

Old 26-07-2003, 04:22 PM
Charlie

Actually, you would. Boyfriends dad was a traffic police officer and I
asked him this. Without looking it up he said that the maximum wheel height
for using on the pavement is 18" (he thinks, give or take a few).
Therefore, childrens bikes, prams, pushchairs and so forth are allowed on
the pavement. Unfortunatly so are BMX's, although people are specifically
trying to bring a law in against them on the pavement.

Charlie.

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message

There is. And if you were to take the law to extremes, you wouldn't be
permitted to push or ride any wheeled vehicle, truck, buggy, pram,
shopping trolley etc on the pavement or on any footpath.