Old 26-07-2003, 06:35 PM
Jim W

Default It makes me CROSS!!!

Essjay001 wrote:

Jim W wrote: Aaaah but theres a difference betwen a hedge and
overhanging shrubbery from a domestic garden.. I cannot imagine them
getting a flail trimmer down our residential north London street LOL..
That'd bring everyone out quick;-) that said there are quite a few
overhanging things esp in the summer. Hedge cutting is usually (to
my knowledge) only done in the 'country' sic where it is necessary to
road safety. (visibility). Or just routine maintainance of larger
areas. Jim there is a difference betwen a hedge and a hedgerow.

Steve R

Yes they're spelt diff.. One is a synonym for the other;-) This
according to Dictionary.com

Dictionary.com/hedge http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=1&q=hedge
Saturday, July 26, 2003

hedge n 1: a fence formed by a row of closely planted shrubs or bushes
[syn: hedgerow]

//
Jim
Old 26-07-2003, 06:35 PM
Jim W

Michael Saunby wrote:

Aaaah but theres a difference betwen a hedge and overhanging shrubbery
from a domestic garden.. I cannot imagine them getting a flail trimmer
down our residential north London street LOL.. That'd bring everyone
out quick;-) that said there are quite a few overhanging things esp in
the summer.

And what would the difference be? Why as a smallholder don't I have to
worry about keeping my roadside hedge from overhanging the road, but a
suburban gardener must? It does seem very odd that it's claimed such a law
(or is it bylaw?) exists that is so different between countryside and
suburbia.

Lamposts.. Trees, Pavements, cars.. Like to see a flail cutter get
around that lot to prune short lengths of hedge.. Different setting
altogether and inappropriate for it for one.. Even if the tax is nearly
a grand..

//
Jim
Old 26-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Essjay001

Charlie wrote:
Nope, they have them at both the local Tesco's and Sainsbury's here.

I'm ashamed to say that my friend does this for a living.

Why are you ashamed of someone doing a days work for a days pay.
I am an aircraft engineer and have spent about ten years teaching, but I
didn't turn my nose up when offered a week as a dustbin man.

Steve R

---
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

Old 26-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Essjay001

Jim W wrote:
Essjay001 wrote:

Jim W wrote: Aaaah but theres a difference betwen a hedge and
overhanging shrubbery from a domestic garden.. I cannot imagine
them getting a flail trimmer down our residential north London
street LOL.. That'd bring everyone out quick;-) that said there
are quite a few overhanging things esp in the summer. Hedge
cutting is usually (to my knowledge) only done in the 'country' sic

where it is necessary to
road safety. (visibility). Or just routine maintainance of larger
areas.
Jim there is a difference betwen a hedge and a hedgerow.

Steve R

Yes they're spelt diff.. One is a synonym for the other;-) This
according to Dictionary.com

Oh we are sharp today! Ok so I'll say it again so you understand what I
meant.
There is a difference between a garden hedge and a countryside hedgerow.
There now is that better!

Steve R

---

Old 26-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Charlie

"Essjay001" wrote in message
Charlie wrote:

Why are you ashamed of someone doing a days work for a days pay.
I am an aircraft engineer and have spent about ten years teaching, but I
didn't turn my nose up when offered a week as a dustbin man.

Because, frankly, he could do better than that. He got a part time job in a
bank and his parents wouldn't let him take it because the supermarket was
closer. He would have got paid more and had more benefits, but that didn't
appear to matter.

I know I wouldn't like to work in a supermarket (even as a manager - I'd
rather work in a local shop) and from the way the binmen behave around here,
I wouldn't like myself or my friends to have to do that either (not that I
expect that it's the same everywhere).

Charlie.

Old 26-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Essjay001

JennyC wrote:
"Essjay001" wrote
David Rance wrote:
Actually they do - in France. There are "cantonniers" whose job it
is to go round in the countryside cutting grass and trimming
hedges. And when one of my hedges over there was deemed to be
interfering with the automatic working of a street light a
councillor came and trimmed it back himself!

David I am sure that your comment is very relevant to the french way
of life, but in all honesty can you see that happening in the UK?
Steve R

PS "uk.rec.gardening" gives one the idea that french custom and
practice are not really relevant here

But that's what make URG interesting - all the various tendrils that a
thread makes :~)
Besides Northern France has a very similar climate to parts of Britain
as does whole tracts of Europe.....

Come on Steve, be a bit more 'European' minded.

We have saved the frogs asses on more than one occaision and all the thanks
we get is zip!
De Gaulle never wanted us in the EEC. The farm system in France is counter
productive resulting in British people subsidising French farmers. The
French do not take their fair share of refugees they just make it easy for
them to come here. Enough?

Just think all this European info might come in handy if Bratian ever

joins Europe properly :~))

Like thats ever going to happen!

Steve R

---

Old 27-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Essjay001

Charlie wrote:
Because, frankly, he could do better than that.

We can all do better but the way things are in this country we are not
allowed to.

He got a part time
job in a bank and his parents wouldn't let him take it because the
supermarket was closer. He would have got paid more and had more
benefits, but that didn't appear to matter.

More fool him!

I know I wouldn't like to work in a supermarket (even as a manager -
I'd rather work in a local shop) and from the way the binmen behave
around here, I wouldn't like myself or my friends to have to do that
either (not that I expect that it's the same everywhere).

It's all very well having principles (mis-guided as they are) but the
mortgage has to be paid. No one give you money. I have been out of work for
nearly 6 weeks an no one pays my bills, I don't even qualify for JSA.

Don't be such a snob. A job is a job. and you should be proud of your
friend, at least he isn't sitting on his arse like some dole scroungers

Steve R

---

Old 27-07-2003, 01:23 PM
bnd777

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, AndWhyNot wrote:

Also you DON'T get any free plastic carrier bags .............

unless
you pay heavily for them (pollution) everyone brings thier own
re-useable bags ............

In France that's only true at Leclerc's. All the other

supermarkets give
away masses of plastic bags.

Well you certainly don't get free bags in Germany
Ophelia

Nor in Holland.......
Jenny

Since I always refuse plastic bags and instead grab their cardboard boxes to
pack my groceries in which then get recycled into my compost bins i would
love to see a refund on my shopping bill for just this

Old 27-07-2003, 01:33 PM
bnd777

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Michael Saunby
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Michael Saunby
writes

And what would the difference be? Why as a smallholder don't I have

worry about keeping my roadside hedge from overhanging the road, but a
suburban gardener must?

Must he? I thought all a suburban gardener had to do was keep the hedge
from overhanging the pavement?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I presume you do not have a pavement to
overhang.

True, but why is a pavement different from a road in this respect?

Because roads are used by lorries and cars, whereas pavements are
intended for pedestrians, who may be injured by overhanging bushes.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Actually I believe you will find that a hedge must not overhang a public
highway .........this is both a pavement and a road
Some councils may indeed keep farm type hedges cut back but i understand
they will charge the landowner for doing so

Old 27-07-2003, 01:33 PM
bnd777

"Essjay001" wrote in message
David Rance wrote:
They don't come around. They pay one of the local farmers to do
them.

Actually they do - in France. There are "cantonniers" whose job it is
to go round in the countryside cutting grass and trimming hedges. And
when one of my hedges over there was deemed to be interfering with the
automatic working of a street light a councillor came and trimmed it
back himself!

David I am sure that your comment is very relevant to the french way of
life, but in all honesty can you see that happening in the UK?
Steve R

PS "uk.rec.gardening" gives one the idea that french custom and practice

are
not really relevant here
---
One piece, one button suit, timeless fashion. All made by the same
manufacturer, no designer label, everybody has one.

If we did have some of the French attitudes to hedges we would not be
suffering the "Leylandi Curse " and High Hedge problem
Hedges on boudaries are limited to 2 metres in France and other places in
Europe but not here in the UK mores the pity

Old 27-07-2003, 02:12 PM
David Rance

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, bnd777 wrote:

If we did have some of the French attitudes to hedges we would not be
suffering the "Leylandi Curse " and High Hedge problem
Hedges on boudaries are limited to 2 metres in France and other places in
Europe but not here in the UK mores the pity

Mmmm, I'll have to invoke that against my neighbour farmer in Normandy
who has planted a Leylandii hedge right up against our boundary and is
now threatening to shade my vines from the sun! His acacia tree on that
boundary is already about twenty foot high.

Actually I'm not sure that that is right because I know of plenty of
boundary hedges in Normandy which are much higher than that.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 27-07-2003, 05:33 PM
martin

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 12:31:49 +0000 (UTC), "bnd777"
wrote:

"Essjay001" wrote in message
David Rance wrote:
[...]

There are plenty of hedges over two metres high in our typically Dutch
street. We have one for a start :-)
--
martin
Old 27-07-2003, 05:33 PM
martin

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 14:06:52 +0100, David Rance
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, bnd777 wrote:

If we did have some of the French attitudes to hedges we would not be
suffering the "Leylandi Curse " and High Hedge problem
Hedges on boudaries are limited to 2 metres in France and other places in
Europe but not here in the UK mores the pity

Mmmm, I'll have to invoke that against my neighbour farmer in Normandy
who has planted a Leylandii hedge right up against our boundary and is
now threatening to shade my vines from the sun! His acacia tree on that
boundary is already about twenty foot high.

Actually I'm not sure that that is right because I know of plenty of
boundary hedges in Normandy which are much higher than that.

I wouldn't get involved in a legal action with your neighbour, in some
parts of rural France legal actions are almost a form of sport.
--
martin
Old 27-07-2003, 06:13 PM
Essjay001

bnd777 wrote:

If we did have some of the French attitudes to hedges we would not be
suffering the "Leylandi Curse " and High Hedge problem
Hedges on boudaries are limited to 2 metres in France and other
places in Europe but not here in the UK mores the pity

You get my vote on that one

Steve R

---